Lost power to the bator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sasquatch, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Yesterday our kitten managed to work the bator cord out of the wall. When I discovered the problem hte temp in the bator had dropped to 77 degrees but the humidity had spiked to 86%. They were on day ten and rocking along. My question do I gather and set a new bunch of eggs or ride this one out?

2. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Using the search feature (which I should have done first, I know) it seems that they still have a good chance. I guess that I will wait it out.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Just wait it out for sure- the only thing it might do is cause them the hatch a bit later than expected.
    Good on you for using the search!

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

4. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks for the reply. These eggs a from the mutt batch so all I'd be out is 10 days. But, eggs hatching is a rite of spring here in the Ice Station Idaho!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wouldn't give up just yet. You may be surpirsed. They could still hatch. Good luck. [​IMG]

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

keep them along.

maybe the weaker will not survive, but let's expect everything will gonna to be okay. [​IMG]

good luck

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Ride it out. I had a ground plug trip and the same thing happened. I still hatched 5 out of 6.
    For some reason when the temp drops the humidity spikes. It doesn't make sense to me, but it happens every time. It will be back to normal shortly.

8. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Cooler air can hold less water as it is more dense. As the air becomes more dense the relative humidity rises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by