Lost power :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trifecta, Sep 19, 2016.

1. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    So, last night was the start of day 19 (I set my eggs in the evenings). I woke up this morning to find out that we blew a circut breaker. I went to bed at 10 and got up at 5, so maximum time it was out was 7 hours. When I got everything restarted, incubator temp was 27C but rapidly went back up to 37.5 C.

My last hatch, I lost power overnight around day 7ish. They were shipped eggs and it basically decimated my hatch... about 6/24 went to lock down, and only 2 of those hatched. The other 4 were perfectly formed malpositions. So sad.

I read several other posts that most people just had delayed hatches. Does anyone have experience with a cold incubator this late in the hatch? The surface temperature of the eggs was tepid/lukewarm (ie, not ice cold), so I'm still holding out. There are 4 aracuana and 2 Isa Brown x BCM eggs in there so they are fairly difficult to candle, but I can candle them tonight to see if there is any movement if that would make a difference.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    At day 19 the chicks are creating some of their own body heat, so that always helps.

Last October- mid October my broody was on day 19 (I live in Northern NY, so Mid October is quite cool) and the chicks had internally pipped, there were only 2 eggs. So I tried to cage her for the hatch. She wouldn't let me cage her during the incubation, she'd get up and leave the eggs if I tried. I was hoping that since they were at hatch time she'd stay put. I waited till everyone was roosting and put her in the large dog kennel I had and closed it. She settled back down on the eggs. I got up early to go check her and she was up pacing at the door. She had let the eggs go COLD. I don't know how long she was off, but there was no warmth in these eggs. I candled and saw no movement. I was sure she let them die. I let her go back to the nest she was in originally and put them back under her. 2-3 hours later, after they had a chance to warm back up, I checked again and they were both moving! Both hatched perfectly fine.

What stage they are at and how cold for how long plays a big part in their survival rate, (shipped eggs are iffy no matter what). Brinsea has good info on power outtages and an idea of what to expect:http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

3. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Thank you! That gives me some hope. The Brinsea link is excellent BTW- from reading that it sounds like other than maybe being delayed that I may not see any adverse effects at all since hopefully by day 19 the major development should be done. Its possible that the power was only off for 2 hours or so, and ambient temps here have been pretty mild as its spring in the subtropics here.

Maybe I'll get luck and there will be some pipped when I get home from work! That would be a pleasant suprise :)

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Developmentally, they should be all set. I was expecting mine to hatch that night as they were internally pipped (the night before she let them get cold) , but getting cold like that, I did see a very minor delay and they pipped and hatched the following day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  5. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Day 21 has arrived and no pips or peeps. I candled them with a different flashlight and subjectively the chicks look small for their age but I watched 2 trying to internally pip!!! At least 3/6 had movement. So looks like more waiting for me!

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

7. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    One egg is chirping quietly. Its only my second hatch in this 'bator but the fan is super loud.
    from what ive read on byc essentially I wont see externally visible progress until tonight more than likely (~24 hr from internal pip). My job is quite flexible and I live 5 min away so ill probably pop home over lunch to check anyway.

1 person likes this.
  8. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    To add more excitement to today, figured out the reason we lost power was due to our hot water heater shorting the system... so the electrician is on his way out so he can check out the circuits, etc, and will need to turn the power off for a bit.

Going to head home now and insulate the crap out of the incubator- I'm hoping the power won't be out for too long.

9. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Woke up this morning to the first 2 zipping, 2 external pips, a peeping egg with no visible pips, and 1 egg that is still quiet. Will have to post pics not sure what color the first one is but im thinking it might be lavender! Hard to tell when they are still damp.

10. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    My sister usually does my hatching-my 6 y o nephew likes to see them. I think your story is the inspiration I need to invest in a few hours worth of a back-up power pack( the computer type), that way it will sound an alarm to let me know if a circuit breaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by