Lost some more from McMurray

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wheeler Farms Chickens, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Wheeler Farms Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    I lost all my broilers and 1 black sex link on the last shipment from McMurray. I got the replacements today and have already lost one black sex link and one broiler. Is this normal?

I guess my first batch of chickens ever was a fluke. I didnt lose a one.

2. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I only ordered from McMurray once, which was my first group of chickens. I ordered 25, they threw in an extra BO roo and a free exotic. They all arrived alive and were healthy from the start.

3. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    I know. My first batch was awesome. I got an email saying they shipped. They all arrived healthy and they all lived. The last two times I have not received an email saying they have shipped and I have lost chicks.

4. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Some questions I'd ask myself if this happened to me:

Is the brooder set-up EXACTLY the same as it was for your first shipment?
    Are these recent shipments coming at a different time of year? (High temperatures/lower temperatures may mean greater shipping stress)
    If they are suffering from shipping stress, did I have electrolytes/vitamins/sugar to add to their water?
    Am I using the same brooder as the first batch? If so, was the brooder adequately disinfected before the new batch of chicks were placed in it?

5. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    Quote:Yes the brooder was set up exactly the same, but in a different place.

First shipment I got was July 7th. The last shipment was Sept 3. It took 5 days to get to me. 2/3 of the broilers were DOA. The rest died within a few hours even though I gave them water via a dropper and immediate heat.

I added the broiler booster to the water as recommended by McMurray.

This brooder I built in our garage, but was set up the same.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Five days is an awful long time in the mail system,they need food and drink after two days.

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 25+2 freebies from McMurry and only lost 2

8. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have to say it has to due with the 5 days of being shipped....stress and lack of food and water...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by