1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost: Someone's wonderful "how-to" page! *FOUND*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WhySayWhat, Dec 20, 2010.

1. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I found a wonderful page on here a week or so ago that had very detailed directions for making a brooder out of a Rubbermaid (or similar) tub. In fact, the directions were to use two tubs, and turn them sideways across the tubs. Replacing the majority of the lid on one with wire and elaving the other one whole. I've decided to get my brooder up and running well before I get any chicks (as soon as the feed stores have them in my area, hopefully) and want to get going on it as soon as possible, to ease the monetary blow a bit by spreading out the initial costs! Also, I want to be able to "rehome" my brooder since I can only have 3 hens, leaglly, so I want it to look semi-decent!

I meant to bookmark the page (as I believe it was on someone's BYC page), but somehow lost it! If it sounds familiar, or you have lots of pictures/directions on how I might build a good one, please share! I know there are a ton of these posts (been digging through all the pages myself), but in the 100+ pages, I just can't find it again! Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

I do have a general idea of what I will be building...going to use the biggest tub I can find at Wal-Mart, only cut half the lid...still deciding on a heat source (the PVC piipe filled with Christmas lights on a thermostat sounds doable, especially with the price of lights next week. [​IMG] ).

ETA: I found it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
  3. WhySayWhat

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    It was like yours...and I had actually marked yours as "close enough", lol! Thank you for the link though, I will most likely use it instead! The first one I found was complete with measurements and such, it really took the "idiot" out of making it. The only thing I'm a little worried about it getting the plastic that hot! I can imagine that the walls and floor get fairly hot with the temp up in the high 90's!

I should be getting my tub this week/weekend (if I really want to brave the crowds a day or 2 before Christmas, lol), otherwise it'll be next week. Then to Lowe's (it's a block from my house) to get "scrap" hardware cloth or the like, I think I can get smallish pieces? I know they don't have rolls...the Spokane area building stores can't seem to keep it in stock!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Lots of us use Rubbermaids as brooders check out the sticky brooder thread for ideas.

I have a really long one instead of two, but I got the cheap Sterilite brand so it wasn't that expensive. I put the wire divider from an XL wire dog crate over the top, and set the lamp on that. Indoors you rarely need to use a super-high wattage bulb. I have an 85 watt red floodlight that I use almost exclusively for brooding indoors. It barely keeps it 95ish directly under it, so not much chance of overheating, plus less electricity. Sometimes for the FIRST couple of days, especially if I put damp chicks in there, I will use two bulbs, but they don't need it for long.

Here's a pic [​IMG]

When I'm not brooding I put the feeders and such inside it and put the top back on for compact storage of all the chick supplies [​IMG]

Before this, I used a spare plastic dog crate. Very handy if you need to keep cats out, but somewhat messier because they kicked the shavings out the door.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
  6. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    The cheapest totes I found were the Sterilite tubs from Walmart. For the wire, I stumbled across a piece of mesh at Home Depot that was in the BBQ parts section. I don't know how it's used in a BBQ (maybe to lay the charcoal briquettes on?), but it was easy to install because it didn't try to roll up on you and was already the correct size. My husband used his Dremel with a cutting disk to cut the sides and top out of the tote (the heat melted the plastic slightly so we had to smooth off the melted clumps with a utility knife. The biggest challenge, which wasn't bad, was fitting the frame pieces on the ends of the totes where they meet. In my picture you can see it's a bit of an "A" shape. We had to make sure we didn't leave any gaps for the chicks to get out. We used a hanging heat lamp (just took the clamp off). We adjusted the temperature by raising and lowering the lamp. Our first heat lamp bulb was only 150w -- hence the aluminum foil "concentrator" to get the temperature in the brooder up to where it needed to be. The heat lamps don't bother the plastic on the totes at all (as long as they're not touching it). And the metal BBQ grid insert did not get hot, either. So no worries there. Let me know if you need more info or pictures. It was a fabricating experience for us! LOL!

7. WhySayWhat

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Buck Creek Chickens - Sadly, the one I saw isn't in there, I don't think it was ever submitted for a contest! I LOVE to look at those though! It was more of a "how-to" guide on someone's page, they had it set up with (I think) 4-6 totes, but the directions were for 2, side-by-side brooders sharing the lids to cut down on the amount of fabricating needed. At the bottom, it said something like "if you just want one, only cut half the lid". The Brooder thread on here has 135 (!) pages, I've been through the first 15 or so as well as the last 10 in search of the one I saw and didn't mark (I was either being super silly or was in my "I'm gonna buy already laying hens" stage of thinking). I plan on continuing through that one, but thought someone might have an idea of what I was talking about, lol. Besides, look at all the awesome pictures I'm getting before I even get supplies! They give me new ideas for my ever evolving plan. [​IMG]

wsdareme - I love the idea of using the clear totes, makes staring at babies even easier. [​IMG] I'm still unsure where my brooder will be housed, my office is a possibility while they are still small (very limited space & both my cats hang out in here), we have a room built into our garage that is heated (but stays cooler than the house), or the garage which is frigid at the moment! During this time of year, the garage feels colder than outside some days, so I doubt they will go there until very near "coop time". The attached room houses the cat's food & litter box, so not that sure I want to chance the little fuzzbutt's in there (and can't lock the cat's out because it has a cat door into it that has no flap, our cat's a BIG Ragamuffin mixes weighing in at 12 & 20 pounds..the larger barely squeezes through these days). Hmm...maybe I'll remove the bed from my office (spare bedroom that is sharing space while we redo our home networking to move both offices into one space) and keep them in there, so I can shut the door and keep the cats out at night, lol.

If you can't tell I think best when I'm typing up my plans...I tend to start a sentence thinking I'll do something "this" way and finish it by deciding I'll do it "that" way. [​IMG]

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    ws, I just looked at your page. That is a fantastic setup. How do you make those waterers out of the five gallon buckets? For example, where is the nipple? I wouldn't mind setting one of these up myself. And I love the way you have the tubs catching the rain-water. That is just so smart. Thanks for sharing.

9. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

ws, I just looked at your page. That is a fantastic setup. How do you make those waterers out of the five gallon buckets? For example, where is the nipple? I wouldn't mind setting one of these up myself. And I love the way you have the tubs catching the rain-water. That is just so smart. Thanks for sharing.

I bought my nipples online, but Neil Grassbaugh is a BYC member that sells them for a great price. I think his email is [email protected]. I found the water buckets with lids for a few bucks at Walmart. We put 3 nipples in the bottom of the bucket you're looking at -- we just spaced them evenly. The biggest challenges are getting the right size drill bit for the holes and figuring out how to install the nipples (ours didn't come with instructions). I'm sure if you buy them from Neil he'll tell you everything you need to know.

We're going to make a couple more in the spring. I'm going to set one up for inside the coop that will sit on blocks or something sturdy, so I'll have to figure out where the nipples will need to be. The one in our run has a hole in the lid that a hose will fit in to fill it. I have two hangers that help keep the weight of the water from popping off the lid and warping the bucket (they're HEAVY when they're full). I'm looking forward to having one in the coop because the galavanized one I have now is a pain in the butt to refill because I have to do it outside the then lug it into the coop.

We're pretty proud of our gutter-watering system. It's really working well!

P.S. -- You should have seen my DH teaching the chickens how to drink out of the nipples! LOL!!

P.P.S. - Here is the link to a post by Neil about nipple waterers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=328918&p=1

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. WhySayWhat

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Okay...I have gone completely nuts. [​IMG] I found it...it wasn't even on BYC! Lol! And I had bookmarked it, it was just filed away under something else. I went searching through my browser "favorites" after searching ALL 135 pages of the BROODERS! thread. They are VERY close to the ones Wsdareme has...I think I may even like hers (his?) better because they're easy to see into. [​IMG] I'll post pics when I get mine assembled, but for now, I should change this to "FOUND". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by