LOST TAIL FEATHERS??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PCHRISTMAN, Aug 11, 2013.

1. PCHRISTMAN

PCHRISTMAN New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    LOST TAIL FEATHERS WILL THEY GROW BACK?....BLACK COPPER MARAN....LOOKS PITIFULL

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    when they molt their feathers come back it I do believe

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Yes they will grow back. But why have they fallen out? Molt, injury or lice??

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is this bird? It is likely that she is molting. However, it could be that the other birds are pulling out her tail feathers. I'd observe her with your flock, and watch for any bullying. If you're worried about mites/lice, perform a simple parasite inspection. Here is how: Grab your bird firmly. Then, part the feathers near the vent, neck, base of tail, and under the wings so that you can see the skin. If your bird has mites/lice, you will see moving black specks (mites) or larger yellow blobs (lice). Sometimes, mites will also make the feathers extremely dirty and covered with a black substance.

If your bird has mites, dust her with poultry dust, 5-10% Sevin dust, or with diatamaceous earth (though DE has never worked for me, others have remarkable success stories). Repeat the dusting 10 days after the first dusting to kill any mite/lice eggs that hatched later, and therefore were not killed.

5. PCHRISTMAN

PCHRISTMAN New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    SORRY FORGOT TO ADD HE'S A MEAN OL'ROOSTER NAMED (ROSCO)

6. PCHRISTMAN

PCHRISTMAN New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    MITES OR LICE .. TOOK CARE OF THEM .SO FAR. HIS NECK FEATHERS HAVE COME BACK IN OK. BUT NOT HIS TAIL FEATHERS.SOME ARE GROWING. WONDERED IF HE'D GET BACK HIS LONG TAIL FEATHERS. HE WAS A HANSOME FELLER WHEN I BOUGHT HIM.HAS A MEAN SIDE WHEN HE TAKES A MIND TO. BUT HE TAKES CARE OF THE HENS.IF YOU GET MY DRIFT. THANKS

7. brandilabra

brandilabra New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    i have 3 chickens with feathers coming out over here,two seem to be just their tail feathers and the one had a patch on her shoulder,neck,and tail feathers.i was worried at first but with fall coming up and it's getting darker earlier,seems natural they'd be going through some sort of change.this mite talk now has me a little nervous though.

8. FlosRdChicks

FlosRdChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    Springwater, Ontario
    My 15-16 month old hen just lost her tail feathers, and more!
    Molting like crazy! She looks like a hedgehog.
    She also lost feathers next to her comb, but the comb looks beautiful...
    No injuries... which tipped me off... Because if there was bullying going on,
    in my experience, you will see blood somewhere!
    But I am still pretty new to having hens for pets

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by