Lost the battle:(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by luvchicks8, Nov 16, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My beautiful Stella who faught for 3 months of tumbling and falling recovered 3 weeks ago. Last night I found her not looking or sounding quite right this morning she has passed. Stella was my sons favorite every morning he went down to get her and take her in for cartoons. My son is special needs so it was great to see him so close to her. I have not told him yet as he has school this morning so I told him it was to late to go get Stella this morning not wanting to upset him before school.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    So sorry for you and your son. Stella was very lucky to have both of you. Many good wishes from us here in Syracuse for you when you tell your son. I hope he has another chick he can bond with as well as he did with Stella. One of the reasons we got hens and chicks was for our son who is special needs and he loves to care for the hens and collect the eggs.

Julie

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear of it! Hope your boy adjusts OK in time. [​IMG]

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks I am really upset for my son because he has never taken to any of our animals like Stella. Not even when we got a new puppy or kitten. For some reason he chose Stella, who got sick the first weeks we got her but he gave her her vitamins fed watered her 3 times a day until she looked like she was going to be ok then this.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Such a hard lesson, the whole circle-of-life thing. But maybe your son was drawn to Stella because she needed him.
    I'm praying that he will be able to accept her passing, despite the sorrow, and that a new bird will come along that needs him just as much but is not as fragile.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my son has special needs too and saw his dog get hit by a car. At first it was hard for him to understand but I know he was trying to figure it out. One day he said to me that Sadie was lost. And I knew thats how he had it figured out to himself. I had told him she was hurt real bad and went to a special place for animals in heaven where she would run and play. If you believe, let him know she will be ok. I hope its not too hard for him. [​IMG]

7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

They say one of the most valuable lessons a pet can teach a child is about death. It is a fact of life and better he learn to deal with it when it is a beloved pet, because some day it will be a beloved person and we all will unfortunately have to deal with that. Many adults don't have this life skill.

My heart goes out to your boy though. It is hard to watch them hurting! Children can often be distracted by a new pet however, perhaps you can approach him that he "tamed" or made this particular bird special with his special attention he gave her, and that he can make another one special with his efforts again. I think it is good to give them an interval of mourning first however, so that they honor the life and "get" the lesson God wanted them to learn.
    [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very sorry to hear that. I've lost many feathered friends over the last few years to things beyond my control. I miss those girls--they add so much to our lives, don't they?

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by