Lost the hens... :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Erinmir, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    So, we had our first confirmed predator loss this morning. Hubby found my Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantam roo in the middle of the yard looking bedraggled and stunned at about 6:00 this morning. Upon bringing him inside to inspect him for wounds he looked more than a bit bedraggled but ok. It was early, we weren't thinking and hubby took him to go back out to the banty coop. What he found was horrible. Midas's hens had both been beheaded and one of them partially ripped apart. :( He brought Midas back inside and he's in a crate now spending some time inside with some TLC. So depressed about it. These are my favorite birds out of our flock and were intended for showing and mostly for enjoyment as little spoiled pets. Midas did his best, but when you're that little there isn't a lot you can do.

Anyone out there have Milles and maybe be nearby who I could get him some new girlfriends from?? He's quite the gentleman and I know my full size laying hens won't care for him, so I don't want to leave him alone for too long. Poor guy. RIP Thumbelina and Goldilocks.

Also, do you think the 'coon (that's what we figure it was) will be back? Thoughts on how to trap/dispose of it?

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Yes, your predator will be back. We have had a bobcat come back again and again trying to get more chickens. The only thing that stopped him was a .22 bullet. So sorry for your loss.

3. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't know if this would work but what about a electric fance around the coop? i think one good shock from that and what ever it is would never come back.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    That is far from certian, however it is the only way to bet.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It will be back for sure. You need to figure out how it got in and fix the coop to make sure it can't do it again.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    If it is a coon get a good sized box trap and bait it with a can of tuna, that has been my best coon bait. However make sure your coop is secure first as the coon may very well rather go in after another bird than go in the trap, make it so he can't get at the birds or any other food then the trap will be more appealing, it will help to cover the trap with pine bows or other limbs and stuff so it looks more like a den.

If you catch the coon or whatever it was, kill it, don't take it someplace down the road and turn it loose, it will just be someone else's problem.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to be revamping the run design for the banty coop as well as making some security adjustments to how the coop closes up. Until then, my little rooster is just going to be a house rooster. (he doesn't seem to mind it too much lol)

We're trying to see if hubby's uncle has a box trap we can borrow. I'm so nervous about letting any of the birds out now until we catch this thing and get rid of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by