Lost Them All - **UPDATE pg 3

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcardella, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    but one is still hanging on.

Last night 2 of the neighbor's pitbulls got out of their yard and broke into my duck pen, and killed all (but 1 so far) of my ducks.

The pen was secured with hardware cloth on the bottom, top and all sides. Half of the roof (4 ft high) was solid, half hardware cloth. One of the dogs climbed on top of the pen, and broke through the wire on top (from her weight). The ducks had no chance. She just made the rounds and killed them all. 4 survived the initial attack; 1 died within 30 minutes, 1 died this morning in my husband's arms, and the third one died a few minutes ago. I took the remaining two to the vet this morning, but since she does not treat birds, she told us to take them home, keep them warm, treat their wounds (2 punctures) with Neosporin and give them electrolytes. I did all that, but the one must have had more serious injuries than we thought, or died from shock. The remaining duck has one small puncture wound and scrapes, but is eating, drinking and walking (although a little wobbly). I think she will make it if she does not get an infection. I have her on electrolytes, antibiotics, and am putting Neosporin on her wounds.

I am devastated. They were a mix of Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins; the oldest ones I got in May, and had just started laying a month ago. The newer ones I got in August, and all were very friendly and tame; would follow me around the yard. We just finished building them a duck pond.

If I would have had a gun, I would have shot both dogs on the spot. We called animal control, and after much arguing, they finally picked them up. We spoke to the neighbor this morning, who says his house was burglarized last night, and the gate was broken. I saw no evidence of that, nor have the police been around. This is not the first time they have escaped. He has offered to pay for the ducks, but it does not make it better.

I am not even sure I want to get more ducks - this is just too hard. The only problem is I have this one poor lone duck. I can't even think of what to do right now. Should I get ducklings and hope she will bond to them, or get some adult ducks?

I will think about it tomorrow. Today, it's just too much.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I am sorry! I know how it feels to lose a lot of birds. Especially when they are your favorites. I hope that you will find comfort soon.

4. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    that is so sad!

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG] Get yourself a nice gun for Christmas. The dog owner will either bail the dogs out or he will get new ones. Either way, be ready for it. Get more ducks. Make sure that the neighbor pays for the damages to your run and the ducks. Also, press animal control to ensure that he is fined. In the case of bad dog owners, forgiveness gets you nowhere.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Oh, I'm so sorry! Your poor ducks. Definitely take a few days to assess how to provide companionship for your lone ducky. It's too raw right now. And yes, I'd be prepared to shoot those dogs if they came back. Is it possible for you to hotwire the pen? Wet dog noses make great conductors. Electricity is the best deterrent I've found.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    When you hand your neighbor a bill for the cost of the ducks, make sure you calculate how much it would cost for Holderreads to ship you adult birds. Then order some...and get that gun.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Unfortunately, pit bulls can withstand a lot of pain when they are excited and determined. If you depend on a hot wire, make it a very strong one.

9. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Thanks everyone. My son and I were just talking about the gun this morning. I think it's time for that purchase. I will have the neighbor pay for damages. There is no question; the dog was trapped in the pen since he fell in from the top. We managed to keep them in our dog yard until animal control picked them up. We have a case number, but have to call Monday to see what they are going to do. The owners can pick the dogs up anytime. They may or may not be fined the first time, if it happens a second time (god forbid), the dogs may be euthanized.

10. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    We have also been thinking about electric fencing since we have such a raccoon problem, but we thought the night pens were secure, so put the purchase off. I live in a residential area where people are required by law to fence their dogs, so I really did not count on that problem, nor did I imagine they would climb on top of a 4 ft pen.

My eyes have been opened the hard way.

Wifezilla, you must have read my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by