Lost then Found Easter Egger

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mom 2em All, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have ten babies that I planned on taking over to my brother in laws farm today. I have several different 'clutches' of different ages, with eggs in the incubator also.These ten are big enough to go now. I am still making the selection of which ones will be permanent residents here. I can only keep 4-5 of them, total out of all hatches.

Last night, when I went out to close up the coop, I did a head count. Only one had gone to roost. My Carmen. The others were lingering and fussing. I heard one distress cheeping from somewhere- sounded like it was coming from the other side of the six foot privacy fence. Nope. I played Marco Polo with the chick until I discovered: It was trapped inside the flexible drain thing that is attached to the downspout of the gutter. The thing that is used to route the water runoff away from the house. It had gone in the one end, and made its way all the way to the downspout. And I couldnt get the drain off.

My husband came to help me and when we got the spout free, out popped my ugly chick. heh heh. It is all black with sporadic feathers that stick out every way. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, and will stand still and let every one of the others pick on her. She is from the 4 week old group. Feathers were all wet, but I am so glad that it didnt rain. A good meal later, a long drink of water- she looked no worse than always, except for her wet belly feathers and tail.
    So, I scooped her up, snuggled her for a few minutes and she fell fast asleep. I think she sealed her fate. As long as she remains a she, I will let her be one of the 'chosen ones'.

In this picture, she is the one in front of the "Darn it it's a Roo" Black Giant on the Right. You cant see her well, though. I took this picture on Fathers Day:
    [​IMG]

found this one too, taken about a week ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm glad it ended well for her! You saved her - and she gets to stay. Wonder if she planned it that way.......

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I am thinking she did do it on purpose. I am going to be the home for misfit or mistreated chickens. lol.
    I wanted to name her Misfit, but my daughter is set on Scraps..lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by