1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost three the other morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mikee1948, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Four AM I heard the squwak of distressed chickens, I ran out ot the pen and three of my five were dead, heads bitten off of two of them. I thought this was secure enough, but evidently it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

I replaced the roof and locked the other two birds in the coop. At 6:30 I went back outside and the roof was again pushed open. The two hens were safe but really spooked. So I rebuilt it like this, and wired shut all the roof sections. Now, I'll have to buy some more hens next week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It sounds like a hawk or and owl. They will only eat the head then leave the body.[​IMG]

3. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I don't think a hawk or owl could pull back the screening. Plus two of the dead ones were crammed up against the fence, like something was trying to pull them through it. I'm thinking raccoon?

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm thinking raccoon or fox or bobcat?

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:+2
    I am so sorry [​IMG] this is horrible [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    the openings in your fence are large enough for a coon to pull body parts through - you need to use hardware cloth over the bottom couple of feet or so, so they can't grab ahold of any.

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I'm so sorry these things always make me cry [​IMG] I would guess coon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by