Lost to a predator today...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 5parrots&zoo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I was devastated when this afternoon, when I turned out my hens to free range in our front yard, only 7 of my 9 hens came out the gate. When I started looking, my Ameracauna was cowering under the hen house, and Pixie, my smallest hen, had been reduced to a pile of feathers, feet, head, and skeleton. My first thought was a hawk, and my husband thought maybe she expired, and perhaps a vulture got her. My question is, if it was a hawk, would there be blood spatters? There was none to be seen. She was found under overhanging branches of a tree that is just on the other side of the pen. This is my first hen that I have lost to a predator. I am so sad, and tomorrow, I am going to start working on putting the chicken wire over top of the coop. This is such an incredibly sad thing to happen, and I miss the sweet little one. RIP, my little lovely hen.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Sorry to here you losr your hen. No hawks dont grnerally leave blood splatters unless they hit a main vessel when they attack. If all the feathers were close by thats probably what got your hen.
    [​IMG]

3. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Sorry about your little girl. If she was picked clean it probably was a hawk. I've lost several to hawks this year. They are locked up until I get the top on their run finished.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry about your loss - sounds very much like a hawk kill. Work on getting the pen covered. The hawk will return now that it has been successful.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry to read of your hen getting killed.Hope the cover will stop the predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by