Lost toenail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AuntKK, Jan 26, 2014.

1. AuntKK

AuntKK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    I have a pet Silkie, she is our house pet. She appears to have lost her toenail when coming out of her coop. It is bleeding some, but doesn't seem to bother. She is still walking fine and is quite upset I put her back in her coop (don't want the blood all over the house). Is there anything I should be doing for her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to stop the bleeding with pressure, blood stop powder, or flour. Perhaps a bandaid loosely around it might keep her from getting blood on things. Neosporin can be used on the toenail, but there is nothing else you can do. It will heal, and her toe will probably be sore for a few weeks. My salmon faverolles lost hers last year, and it was painful. The toenail did not grow back.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Make sure bleeding has stopped,otherwise other birds or her will peck/pick at this creating more of a problem. Clean area with a saline solution or soap/water, watch for infection as dirt/debris can get trapped in wound.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First, stop the bleeding by applying pressure and/or cornstarch or styptic powder. Then, clean the area with warm, soapy water and pat dry. If there is any part of the nail left, and it is hanging off at an odd angle, cut it off with nail trimmers (dog or cat trimmers work well); otherwise, it might catch on something and start bleeding again. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do. If the other birds pick on her because of the toenail, isolate her for a while until it heals.

5. AuntKK

AuntKK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    she is the only chicken I have and lives indoors with us...I held a wet towel to it to stop the bleeding and clean it up...will keep it clean for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by