Lost too many chicks...the hunt is on.....TONIGHT!!! DEAD OR INJURED.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NC29mom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Just went outside to smoke on our deck.......not far from the barn where the chickens roost. My fiance had set a trap for the "predator" (weseal or rat we think). Heard a *thud*........thought hmmmm. Waited a minute or so.....another *thud*... now I'm thinking we might already have it....then another **THUD** run inside to get my fiance.....

Go outside and sure enough the door to the coop barn is shut.........the predator triggered the trap. Went inside the barn and looked up and down, round & round. NOTHING [​IMG]

Well............we are not giving up...............reset the trap. Told my fiance he might as well sit in the barn with the rifle and just wait. Evidently this little booger likes to strike early.

History: We have a barn with 3 separate coops and 3 separate little chicken doors leading into 3 separate roosting areas. Only one of the roosting areas have been attacked. The one with my chicks. Maybe because it has easier access?? Can't figure out how?? Or maybe b/c they roost on floor and not on roosting poles? Well, I've lost 2BR, NN, 5-6BO, Plymouth Rock, EE and 2 BTW japs. Not to mention the chicks that have been injured. This has got to stop. And we are gonna use DEADLY FORCE. You mess with my chickens................you're messing with your life!!![​IMG]

[​IMG] gonna get this little stalker/killer tonight!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    fiance shot the rifle...............................hit him right between the eyes.....................whatever it was just had head stuck out when he shot...........he somehow managed to get back under barn.........

my fiance has been hunting all his life, and he's ummmmm 56....so I don't doubt for a sec that he didn't get him. Unable to determine what animal was bc tracks too faint. This is the 3rd time this little booger has come out tonight....3rd time got a shot in the face from a rifle.

PLEASE lets hope hes dead.........we can't dig up the barn to see.....trap is still set for the door......gonna keep a check on it. And you can guarantee my chicks wont be back over there......ever!!! My daughter asks, "what if he has friends?"

3. upstate_nyer

upstate_nyer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Wow--very curious to know what it was. And I'm new to all of this, but reading the woman's post whose husband jumped up on the railing to escape 5 coons... if it was a raccoon it sounds like there's often more than one. Sorry to hear you lost some birds. I can relate--it's a terrible feeling. And yes, it makes you feel ultra-protective. How dare they come after our birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by