Lost two babys this morning....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by whatwasIthinking, May 14, 2009.

1. whatwasIthinking

whatwasIthinking New Egg

May 5, 2009
    We got up this morning and went out to check on our girls and the babys we had moved to the hen house 3 days ago. I had sent my son out to make sure they were not to cold last night. He came running in and said that two of our turkeys were dead. I thought he was joking. We have never had problems with predators or SIDS. I thought maybe the hens got them, I had to go check. Something got under the barn wall and brutaly attacked them and removed there head and inards. My boys are heart broken.[​IMG]
    I dont know how to provent this, this is an old barn and not an easy fix. I think I might be able to get more turkeys, but to keep out the beast, I just dont know.

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    It probally was a rat or perhaps a coon. We lost some last year and found a rat killing our babies in the coop. Put up some traps around the coop.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Is there anything heavy you can move to cover over the hole where the predator got in as a temp. fix, since the barn is expensive to fix?

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Say hello to Mr. coon. Can you secure with boards and wire? I know older barns can be a problem but coon knows they are there and will be back.

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    If you already have a dog it's the best solution to keep predators away from your flock

6. whatwasIthinking

whatwasIthinking New Egg

May 5, 2009
    I have a dog and she loves her chickens but she is in the house at night. The coop is in the pasture and this happened at night. I am going to try to set some traps, and patch the holes. I dont want to leave them alone.

7. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Sounds like a racoon! Can you leave your dog out at night to watch the barn?? or run a hot wire around it? or build a smaller, safer house to put them in at night?

They will be back and will kill everything that is not secured and protected!

You can wait up and shoot them....that is what I did here to solve my racoon problem for awhile, plus my chickens are all put up at night.

8. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i lost two babies this morning too. i know what you're feeling and i'm so sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by