"Lost" Two Chickens Last Night

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by For-The-Love-Of-Chickens, May 1, 2009.

1. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    Our chicks are 12 weeks old and we have a nightly ritual. My boys go out around 7:30 pm and move their food and water inside the coop, and they plug in the heat lamp. Then DH or I go out about 8:30 pm to close the coop up for the night and do a head count.

Anyway, as I was counting chicks last night, I came up two short. I kept counting....still two short. As the panic was threatening to take over, I looked all over the coop. Under the nest boxes, in the nest boxes, underneath the other chickens. Nothing. So I get a flashlight and go and look in the run. Nothing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

As I stood there trying to figure out where they could be, I finally calmed down enough to figure out just which two chickens were missing. One RIR we call Princess Freak-out, and our one and only bantam hen Spud. Now, Spud will talk back to you if you talk to her, so I started calling her. I could hear her peeping, but I couldn't find her. I thought she fell into the poop pit and was just about to start taking chickens off the roost to move the boards when a bit of movement near the ceiling caught my eye. There they were, roosting on the 2 by 4 that runs about 5 inches from the coop ceiling, the only hole we have in the coop setup! [​IMG]

They got to spend their first night in the dark until I can get that hole patched up today with some screen.

I was just soooooo relieved to find them!!!!!!

2. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    glad you found your girls

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had this happen before. It was the rescued EE hen that we had just gotten that scared us. Standing at the door with a flashlight counting, coming up one short... Then a tiny quiet cluck from over my head... To this day I think she did it on purpose, because she was the quietest hen, and would almost never make a sound during the day, let alone at night!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by