Lost two chicks due to frost last night :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JessaLynn, May 18, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I lost two of our 7week old chicks, 1 was a Welsummer pullet and other was a Buff Cochin Pullet.It droped down to 38 last night and they were to cold.We have 50 chicks out in the coop and all huddled together and those had gotten sufficated I believe.So sad! They are fully feathered out, have been for 2 weeks now and thought they would be fine, my mistake.My daughter had a ballet recital yesterday from 9am-9pm and didn't even go out and check on them.I could kick myself.Lesson learned for sure!! [​IMG]

2. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how losses can occur even when everything should be "ok".

It certainly did get surprisingly cold last night. (We're in Oberlin, OH, so the chill caught us by surprise, too).

Check on your little ones tonight and enjoy the hopefully warmer days ahead.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Soo Sad!! Sorry that happened!! [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Sorry for your loss, it got down in the 40's here last night. That's BRRRRRR cold for eastern NC this time of year- a couple days ago it was in the upper 80's and 60's at night. It figures to we just moved some quail, pheasants and turkey poults out the the brooder barn.

Do you have a roost for them? We start from about 2 weeks old start putting roosts in the brooder box, once they get the idea to roost they won't huddle and smother.

Steve in NC

5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Thank you all for your kind words.They have had a roost since they were in the brooder but some just prefer to huddle I guess.I'm glad it wasn't my fav's that had died or I would really be upset.We have an EE possible roo that I just love.It comes right to me and will perch on my arm.I haven't had a friendly one like this in 3 years so this is a treat.I have two EE's and their both friendly but this one is the most.I love them so much that I have 4 more coming thursday.We have buff, white, blue, patridge Cochin's, Delawares, blue Wyandottes, red and black sexlinks, welsummers, buff orpingtons and Easter egger's.I like variety [​IMG] I really hope the cold is near over with [​IMG] I'm really getting tired of it [​IMG]

6. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    GRRR I lost two more last night!!! What the heck! This time it was two black sexlinks.I found them behind the feed bag we have in the coop.Another suffication.Dagonit!! [​IMG] I moved the bags out of there and I'm gonna have my husband put some more perches in there becuz this is nuts!!
    That and their feeder was empty when I just filled it yesterday full! How can those little ones consume so much in a short time? I have never had such big eaters my gosh!!

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Have you thought about having a heat lamp in there until the nights start warming up a bit? Sorry about your losses. [​IMG]

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Are you sure something else is not getting them and eating the food as well? Rats?? Check for droppings in the coop.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry for you loss. they need a heat lamp..they do not fully feather out until at a minimum 8 weeks but usually 10...they just cannot handle low temps. [​IMG]

10. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I don't have electricity out there it's to far from our house.No signs of an attack, blood,wounds, nothing.They were found together and kinda smooshed so that's why I say it was sufficataion.Our coop is pretty predator proof (fenced buried, and covered over top) No signs of anything else. [​IMG]
    Edited to say: Temps are warming up more at night in 50's.

Last edited: May 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by