Lost two great hens today

alaskapalo

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
I lost two Bared Rock hens due to a hawk
hit.gif
I have never lost hens to dogs or predators before. After my girls came in from free ranging yesterday I noticed my BR's were not in the coup so I left the door to their run open in case they wandered home late. When I went to check this morning all my ladies were on their perches and my BR's were still gone. So I started searching for them and I soon found one body headless and a second area where I think the other hen was attacked but no body. During my search Mr. Hawk was just sitting in a birch tree seemingly laughing at me. I also discovered the hawk's bone yard with other small animal bones in it. I looks like he has been around for a while.

What is the probability the other hen might still be alive or can hawks take their prey into the trees to eat?

I had a 6yo BO Roo who kept my hens safe, but since his death this summer they had no one sound the alarm when Mr.Hawk came by. I have tried getting a new roo but it has not worked out.

So I was going to use the 3 S method to solve my problem until I hatch a new Roo this spring but I think that there is more than one.

Do the hen savors really work?
My DH's solution was to not let them free range anymore (He was also not very sympathetic to my loss
smack.gif
). I love letting my ladies out however they are on lockdown till I can come up with a solution.

This is one of the BR that I lost when she was young.

Back
Top Bottom