Lost two hens and Rooster not walking just scooting

cluckcluckhens

Crowing
8 Years
May 4, 2015
PNW
Here is what happened within the last three weeks.

I had a little lady Australorp Hen that was being pecked on last summer through fall and winter up until three weeks ago. so, she stayed away from the others as much as she could until she starting staying on top of the old hen house and would get food when the others were in the run area then, we had to move coop to build the palace so they didn't get the run area for a couple of months being in the coop until they moved into the palace. She stayed inside the palace even after the move until April 20. She was in the run area for three days before the pecking started again and that is the day she died. Don't know if they killed her after I picked her up and took her back in the palace or not but, I found her a few hours later when I went to collect the eggs. She was dead on the floor under the roosting board on her back with feet up in the air. They have never pecked her in the palace. In the old coop while we were getting the palace built she stayed on top of the hen house or inside of it and came down at dark to eat and drink.

Through out the week of the 20th of April a Golden Sex Link and a Australorp Rooster started acting strange before the little lady hen died, it was about the day that she decided not to stay in the palace and come out into the run area. Sex Link and Rooster was walking funny not standing straight up and walking close to the ground, this went on for another week and Sex Link got worse and I found her the next morning in the run area dead. She was my talker and crier when it came to food especially if she wanted what I had. Not sure what happened with her, she died six days to the first one on the 29th of April.

Rooster quit using his legs to get around since the 20th of April and he did that last week and this week. He doesn't want his feed or water since he's sitting on the ground he can't get around real easy right now. We've been giving him food in the run area but, it's not his feed it's kibble dry cat food and cat can food, banana peelings, bread, soup with pork and spaghetti and so on. He loves the food. He scoots around without his legs. His comb was turning a pinkish color yesterday then, last night after hens went inside we gave him some spaghetti again and this is a test on my hubby's part since it has garlic in the spaghetti. Today his comb is back to red instead of pinkish color so, he's had two more servings of spaghetti today and this evening so far. Water is being put in an empty cat food container for him since he's not drinking from the other. Then hens are drinking and eating from the containers. Today Rooster stood up just a little bit with his legs after having portions of spaghetti so maybe the garlic is helping him fight off something that he has, just don't know. We've been hoping he would pull through. Garlic works with parasites in chickens since my hubby looked it up on the internet. I believe in can be mixed with their food and water. Rooster was breathing different the other night and it seems the garlic helped that as well since I haven't heard it since that night.

Yesterday the silver wyandotte went after another one same breed as the little lady and ran away from her. I am thinking they don't like the Australorps. We have three left of the Australorps which was the second breed that we got. Today the she ran from the Silver Wyandotte again but this time one of the other Australorps fought back with the Wyandotte today and then left the one alone, she really confronted her today and Wyandotte left the area that the two Australorps were laying in the run area. Little lady did not fight back towards them for some reason. I read that chickens go through like a morn period more of a loss when one dies. Cats go through a loss I do know that from one of my cats. They never attacked her inside the coop or the palace only in the run area but, they could of attacked her after I put her back in there two weeks ago after I left her inside.

We have been giving Rooster soup with garlic in it since 3-4 day ago plus spaghetti with garlic. He looked allot better yesterday since he was starting to walk again and this morning he is walking all over the run area with the hens most of day. He is standing straighter today and this after he is walking better still weak in his legs still. He is honking and not sure what that means but, at least it is sound that he is making. He quit talking three weeks ago so this is the first sign of any noises he is making.

The pecker wouldn't stop attacking the other Australorp so last night hubby moved her to the old coop. If the old coop wasn't still standing I would of had to find another solution for her. I read to break a pecker is to put her in another area for 2-4 weeks and when she returns with the others she will be in the bottom of the pecking order. All quiet on the pecking order today since she was removed all of them are doing fine and the rest are all getting along without any pecking what so ever. It's just been such a relief today knowing no one else is pecking and a stress free day.

Today Roo was trying to talk and then he was gasping for air then he fell down on the dirt and then I thought he was gone but, he stood up walked over and drank some water. Hubby and I think he had a stroke or a seizure not sure. He started going down hill at the same time my hen wasn't feeling well and the other hen was being pecked at. Hubby says if that is what happened to Roo this afternoon he could die in a couple of days. Rooster did this around 2:30 this afternoon and by sundown he was doing just fine. I could of been a spasm or something else just not sure.

It really sounds like Marek's Disease to me. \

Marek's is very contagious to young birds. You should send at least one of your birds in for necropsy to confirm what caused it to die. If it is Marek's you will need to vaccinate your chicks in the future or they will come down with it too. I hope for your sake it isn't Mareks, but if it is you need to be prepared for how to handle it in the future.

Last edited:
It really sounds like Marek's Disease to me. I have lost over a dozen young birds this year to Marek's. My hens normally have problems walking and then they stop eating. The roosters have respiratory problems, combs turn dark, and then they will just die one day. One of mine had a seizure before it died. Usually it is due to a Marek's related tumor rupturing.

Marek's is very contagious to young birds. You should send at least one of your birds in for necropsy to confirm what caused it to die. If it is Marek's you will need to vaccinate your chicks in the future or they will come down with it too. I hope for your sake it isn't Mareks, but if it is you need to be prepared for how to handle it in the future.

How dark does the roosters comb get, is it still red or a different color? How young can they be to get this?

Thank you. I'll have to go and read up on this.

I have heard others say they turn black. My cockerel was more of a purple gray color. It just means they are having circulatory problems. I think mine that died had tumors in his lungs or near his heart which affected oxygen delivery. He was also open mouth breathing when he walked. Most of the time he just laid on the ground and didn't want to move. I didn't necropsy him but I'm sure he had Marek's tumors.

There was another older cockerel we had die that didn't show any signs of Marek's. He appeared completely healthy and died in the coop one day. Marek's is odd in the way that is shows different signs in the birds.

Thanks. His was starting to turn pinkish color until we gave him some garlic and it's red now but not as red as the hens. Have to wait and see how he does. Still eating and drinking and eliminating.

Mr Roo died during last night and this morning sometime. He is gone now. And he was walking again and running around yesterday evening when they seen we had food for them. We have a new pecker in the flock, might have to put them in the other coop with the other one. Their the Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Mr Roo died during last night and this morning sometime. He is gone now. And he was walking again and running around yesterday evening when they seen we had food for them. We have a new pecker in the flock, might have to put them in the other coop with the other one. Their the Silver Laced Wyandottes.

I really do encourage sending the rooster in for necropsy just so you can have a diagnosis. If it was just one since bird I wouldn't worry about it, but since it is your third it would be a good idea.

Sorry you lost your boy. It is never easy.

Back
Top Bottom