Lost two hens within a month

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeresaLH, Nov 21, 2016.

1. TeresaLH

TeresaLH New Egg

Apr 16, 2015
    I've lost two hens within a month and have no idea what is wrong. They both acted the same. First I noticed paleness and them not acting right. I do dust for mites so it's not that. First they become pale and then just act off and want to be alone. I have no vets here that work with hens so I'm afraid the rest of my coop will succumb. I have given antibiotics and parasite medicine. I am beside myself. Teresa

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What state or country are you in?
    Best bet is to have a necropsy and lab work at a poultry lab.
    There are so many things it could be - most of which can't be helped with antibiotics.
    Randomly giving antibiotics without a diagnosis is how superbugs are created.

Are you sure it isn't just time of year and molting?
    Molting birds don't act right. They get pale combs and wattles. This is the right time of year if you're in the northern hemisphere.

3. TeresaLH

TeresaLH New Egg

Apr 16, 2015
    Yes, I'm sure it's not just molting because they're dead. I'm in Colorado. The antibiotics were given out of desperation because they were dying. I called a vet and the only way to get a diagnosis is to send the hen to CSU. I'll look around some more for a vet. I take care of my birds better than myself. I have no idea what is wrong. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only way you'll know for sure is to get lab work. The next time you have a dead bird or select the sickest bird and send them off to one of the following labs.

Colorado

Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
    300 West Drake Road, Building C
    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1644
    Phone: 970-297-1281
    IAV-A, BSE, CSF, CWD*, FMD, ISA*, ND, PRV, SCRAPIE, IAV-S*, VHS*, VSV*

Colorado

Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory-Rocky Ford (Branch)
    27847 County Road 21
    Rocky Ford, Colorado 81067-9466
    Phone: 719-254-6382
    CSF, FMD

It is free in some states and if not, the price is well worth it. That way, you'll know what the disease is, whether it is treatable and if so, how to treat.

5. TeresaLH

TeresaLH New Egg

Apr 16, 2015
    Thank you so very much. That is so kind of you to send me this information. I got hold of a country vet and he said the same thing. I'll call CSU tomorrow and see if I can send up my hen who died today. I really must find out what is happening. I am so grateful for this information. My hens are important to me and if I can do anything to help them I will. Again thank you for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated. Teresa

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy TeresaLH

I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

While I totally agree with ChickenCanoe that necropsy is going to be your best bet, it sounds like you may not have a body to send off now? [Edited to add: I see now that you do]

Are any other members of the flock showing these symptoms?

If/when you have others in the flock showing the same symptoms, these are a few things to note that may assist with a diagnosis.

Do your birds free range or are they confined to a coop and run?
    How old are the birds? Are they laying?

Do you worm them?

If/when they become ill, what do their poops look like? Normal, runny, watery, bright green etc?

How long did the symptoms last before they passed away?

Did they continue to eat and drink?

Any signs of a crop issue? The crop is emptying overnight?

Besides wanting to “be alone” any other signs of distress or discomfort? For example: Open mouth breathing, discharge from eyes or nares, drooping of the trail, walking different [waddling] etc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by