Lost two of my broody hens chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Gosh dang. I just checked them all this morning. They were fine. Then i decided to go check them 30 minutes ago...
    Well one was already dead, and the other barely hanging on. I did all i could to save the one hanging on. Unfortunately it didnt make it either.

I noticed they both had pasty butt. Could that be the cause? I know they were eating and drinking i watched them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 2 more of her eggs in the bator that i stole from her, when she gave up. One looks promising, veins and shadows and everything. Hope it pulls through. Need lots of "hatching dust". .. .
    Thanks

No longer will i leave babies with the broody..... I'll take them immediately

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    It probably was the pasty butt if it was all hard and they could not poop. I am constantly watching my chicks and cleaning bums and trimming bum fuzz. It happens though, don't beat yourself up over it. [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:they are my 1st hatchlings ever. i didnt know i was suppose to watch them that close. they were eating an drinking, i thought that was all.

[​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by