Lost Two Overnight: What Gets Through a 4" Hole?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RGBistro, Aug 18, 2011.

1. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    I had a sinking feeling when I noticed a feather about 20 yards out from reaching the run this morning.

When I got to the door, there were 6 very still 8-week old ladies looking at me. No one was moving. No one was cheeping.

I looked into the cardboard box I had lying in the run, thinking the other two were hiding.

Nope.

That's when I noticed there was a 4" x 12" hole dug out from underneath the frame of the run.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What was the culprit?

- Kim

P.S. My husband later found the two (silver laced wyandotte and easter egger). They had been dragged clear across our property and partially eaten. Then left right outside our kitchen door.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry for your loss.

4 x 12 is a pretty large hole. Almost any predator could make a try at a hole that size. Up your security, and put an apron around the run.

Imp

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    a weasel could fit through a little hole like that with no problem

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    4"x12"? Mink, possum, cat, rat, snake, small dog, small coon.... the possibilities are endless. I hope you get whatever the varmint is.

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I am sorry for your loss.

I live in Fullerton, so we're in the same county. We have: rats, oppossums, raccoons, coyotes, dogs and cats. I doubt it was a cat or rat based on what you've said so far. I am assuming you have a fenced yard, so I would scratch the coyote or dog off the list too. It sounds gross, but what parts were eaten? It may help someone identify the likely predator.

6. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Quote:I'm in between Tustin and Orange, near Peters Canyon. [​IMG] So we know there are lots of critters around. Including hawks, which is why the run is 100% fully enclosed with hardware cloth. We just didn't think to reinforce UNDER the dirt UNDER the bottom frames. Now we know. Fixing that today.

We do have a fenced in yard, so I don't think it would have been a coyote or dog, either. I have a 50-lb. weimaraner, but she sleeps inside with us at night, and is never left unattended (her choice, not ours). And I doubt she'd fit in the 4" x 12" hole that was dug. And I'm almost certain this happened in the middle of the night.

Yep, the parts were eaten... partially. The heads and feet were left intact, but they were definitely carved out in the middle.

My guess is... raccoon?!

- Kim

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was thinking most anything that wanted in could get through a hole that size. Well not a bear, coyote or bobcat, but most pest we're concerned about.

8. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I think a raccoon is a safe bet. They can reach through and tear off parts as well. I would build an apron around your run with hardware cloth. There are threads with photos of what this looks like. The apron will deter digging predators from being able to break through.

Quote:I'm in between Tustin and Orange, near Peters Canyon. [​IMG] So we know there are lots of critters around. Including hawks, which is why the run is 100% fully enclosed with hardware cloth. We just didn't think to reinforce UNDER the dirt UNDER the bottom frames. Now we know. Fixing that today.

We do have a fenced in yard, so I don't think it would have been a coyote or dog, either. I have a 50-lb. weimaraner, but she sleeps inside with us at night, and is never left unattended (her choice, not ours). And I doubt she'd fit in the 4" x 12" hole that was dug. And I'm almost certain this happened in the middle of the night.

Yep, the parts were eaten... partially. The heads and feet were left intact, but they were definitely carved out in the middle.

My guess is... raccoon?!

- Kim

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, a 4" hole is HUGE. Most predators can squeeze through that. A weasel can even get through 1" chicken wire.

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would say even a big coon could get through a hole that size depending on how it was dug. I have two full grown 100+ akitas that are getting into my small backyard from their large run and I can't find where they are going under the fence!!! Wish I could find a hole that size so that I would know how to stop them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by