Lost two peeps today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by franko, May 6, 2011.

1. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    I took my fifteen Buff/Delaware peep girls, six weeks old, out to the coop for the second time. They love being in the big coop. I went out and checked on them every thirty min and all was fine , till I found two of the chicks dead. It is completely closed in. I most likely will never know why they died. I already have them trained to come to me when I call, "Chick Chick" so when they go out to range I won't have a problem getting them back in when I want the in. To bring them in the house now, I put oats on a paper plate and set it in a box. I yell Chick Chick. They run in to eat and I turn the box upright and bring them back into the brooder. I've raised birds for many a year and still feel bad when I lose one.

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    [​IMG] so sorry.

What do you think may have happened?

Our babies are only 3 weeks and their coop is not yet even started (the run is mostly finished, but that is it.

4. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    What do you think may have happened?

Well, the two that died were the runts. I really don't know.

5. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:I dunno, if they were smaller, maybe they got trampled somehow, too excited?? I am already worring about ours going out.

What kind of wire do you have? Could something like a cat may have put a paw in and grabbed them?

6. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Quote:I dunno, if they were smaller, maybe they got trampled somehow, too excited?? I am already worring about ours going out.

What kind of wire do you have? Could something like a cat may have put a paw in and grabbed them?

Nothing can get in. You may have something there about being trampled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by