1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost two today, any ideas of what killed them

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by THathaway, Apr 27, 2011.

1. THathaway

THathaway Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    When I got home today two of my chickens were dead. One was in the run and had no feathers left on the neck and what ever got it chewed on the neck and possibly got into the cavity of the bird. The second was in the coop with feathers around it and it looked like the head was attacked. Any ideas of what killed my birds?

2. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    I read somewhere and also experienced once that a hawk will do that to the neck.

3. THathaway

Apr 13, 2011
    My run is completely closed in with fencing and netting over the top. Any other ideas.
    thanks

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] sorry about your birdies. Not sure how old your chickens are, but could it have been a rat? Have you checked really well for holes and such in the ground or your fence? We have weasles here, and they are vicious little critters. Rats and weasles can fit through the tiniest holes....... [​IMG]

5. THathaway

Apr 13, 2011
    I though that it might be weasels. I had some friends that lost most of their chickens to them. I will set up some traps tomorrow to see if I can get them. I want to make sure to take care of the problem before I put my young chicks (which are in the brooder) in with the older ones. I just hate to loose more chickens, my daughter was upset about losing her favorite chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by