lost UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    well as you may know, yesterday was day 21, no pips nothing. now no movement or anything. all conditions in bator are fine. im afraid they are all gone. i know i should probably wait but i think after today i will start again. [​IMG] not sure what went wrong but i cant believe i have nothing out of 30!!! [​IMG] No pips but movement in some, i shifted bator just to wake em up and 3 moved!!! are they ok what do i do? is the membranes to tuff do you help???

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Give them at least 24-48 more hours. Maybe they are slow.

If you really can't stand to wait, pull one and tap a hole in the aircell and see if anyone in alive in there.

It's really hard, I know. Been there, done that!

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:Just sit and wait-- as previously posted-- wait at least another day to 2 days--at LEAST. And opening the incubator at all is going to delay it further.

It's winter-- it's probably just a bit cooler than previous hatches, so maybe they're just sleeping it off a bit and waiting til the last possible moment to come on out!! [​IMG]

4. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I just had to throw away 65, it just happens . Where the eggs fertile, did you candle then? After 21 days if they haven't hatch there probably not going to I know its hard, but the humidity, temperature , alot of things determine the outcome. Try reading up on some of the other posts on trouble shooting we have all had those bad batches.Hang in there practice makes perfect.

5. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    its really strange, i candled at day 16 or 17 and things looked fine. even saw one moving. heck some moved yesterday in egg. i think something went wrong in membrane of air sac. last hatch after day 21 we opened a tiny hole and the last two had been dead. so my hopes are not up on any live ones now. they did set out for a week before incubation, does that effect things inside?

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    If you saw movement at one point, then no, sitting out for a week didn't hurt them. What have your temps and humidity been like?
    ~Rebecca

7. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    temps 100 and humidity first 18 were 45 and now 65

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    sounds good just wait 24 more hours will tell you more but do wait in the winter it some times takes 22 or 23 days i would wait one more at least maybe 2 but one for sure.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Maybe increase the humidity?
    Is it naturally humid where you are?

65 was too low for a chick I had pip last night. She was drying out so I bumped the humidity to 75% and she started prgressing again.

10. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    ok i will increase, just threw a wet napkin real fast in there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by