Lost voice???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady04, Jul 11, 2016.

1. chickenlady04

chickenlady04 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    My 1 year old hen has seemed to lost her voice. She seems perfectly fine and I don't think she is sick. She is acting like her normal self. Although her voice seems very raspy. She is normally a noisy chicken and today she isn't really making any noises. When she does, it's a quiet raspy noise. It's pretty hot and humid where I live. I made sure to keep them cool and I made sure they had plenty of water. Does anyone know what it could be? Should I keep her away from my other hen?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be the weather, or not enough air circulation. Wet and warm conditions, mold, dust, and heat inside a coop can all lead to breathing problems. Hopefully, it is nothing serious, and I probably wouldn't bother separating her unless she shows signs of illness, such as watery or foamy eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or gasping. A fan to pull air into the coop and blow it out a window on the opposite end, can sometimes help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by