Lot of water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Estelleannette, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Estelleannette

Estelleannette Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    I added a tarp to the nesting box because of all the rain we are getting. They seem to be a little nervous of the tarp, will they eventually go in the house you think? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    You might have to toss them in to desensitize them to it, especially if it's windy; chickens HATE change.

Can you get pictures leaky spots? I might have some ideas on weather proofing that would allow you to do away with the tarp.

micstrachan likes this.
  3. Estelleannette

Estelleannette Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    All the sides swell when it rains all day or heavy rains. Should I not worry about it you think?

4. Estelleannette

Estelleannette Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    Also most of the parts didn’t line up so lots of big holes. Good thing snakes aren’t a problem for us.

5. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Once it is dry you might use a sealant in the coop, to keep it from absorbing all that water. Others here have more experience with this; perhaps they will chime in.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  6. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Maybe write to the company to complain. Perhaps you can get a refund. Keeping the chickens dry is one of the most basic functions of a coop.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Sadly, this is exactly right. If the leaking is bad and not just during extreme weather but all the time you'll need to either weather seal the cracks or photograph and write the company demanding a refund or properly made replacement.

My first coop was a prefab we got on Amazon and the issue I see with trying to seal the gaps is you're also taking away what (very little) ventilation those coops already have.

I'd try to get refunded and build a simple coop. People here can walk you through it and I swear all of us first timers with prefab coops end up doing this eventually!

8. Estelleannette

Estelleannette Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    I did contact the company but they ignored me.

9. Estelleannette

Estelleannette Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    I did contact the company. They ignored me unfortunately.

10. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    So sorry to hear it! Write nasty reviews on Amazon (regardless of where you bought it), or go to the store if you bought it at a store. If you paid with a credit card, call the credit card company. Ask the Better Business Bureau to intervene.

We are worried that you might have a worthless coop! You should be able to get a refund.

This stuff gets me going. Sorry if I’m coming on too strong. These cheap prefabs are not cheap to buy, especially when you have to start modifying and end up building your own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: