Lot of work!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DonaldG, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DonaldG

DonaldG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    Dryden, Ontario, Canada
    What have I got myself in to!!! I think I have read every article on this site about raising chickens. Some 3 or 4 times. I didn't think there was that much to raising chickens. Has it deterred me? Not in the least. Am looking more anxious than ever to get our first chicks, whenever we decide which kind to get. Either the end of April or May. Along with my 2 large aquariums, 3 fish ponds, 3 cats, 4 dogs, a wife and a business to run, I think I will be busy.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Look at it ALL IN A POSITIVE WAY. You will not suffer from boredom.
    BEST WISHES WITH CHICKENS. [​IMG]

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

[​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Building a good coop and run is alot of work...but if you built it right, taking care of the chickens will be a snap.

1 person likes this.
  5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I enjoyed the process. Just remember, the birds are very tolerant and will still lay for you no matter how ugly the coop is. [​IMG]

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I enjoyed it too, but am really glad I waited to get the chickens until it was done.

Not about ugly, but about function!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. BernieTheMighty

BernieTheMighty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    PA
    I hear ya! I got my chickens with a coop as a just a "well yah they need one but that is awhile away" and then I started reading here and watching my baby chicks grow. Oops! But they are so fun already and already so worth it.

You'll do great!

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed.

Form and function are entirely separate issues, but it's just as easy to design a pretty coop that functions well also.

Lots of information here concerning proper designs for manure management and ventilation issues.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thinks function is the most beautiful thing....it can be buttugly but if it functions well, it's gorgeous!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by