1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lots of air space in eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heathersboers, Dec 12, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    My light sussex off e-bay are in the bator on day 10- some are good- but some -that are developing have a lot of "air space" in them- I can see where the chick is developing, but almost half the egg is empty. My eggs are as far along and in the same bator but they only have a small space at the top. Do you think they will make it with all that space? and why did this happen? Old eggs?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    low humidity I think.

What is your humidity reading?

3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    it is 47-they are the only eggs doing it- the rest are fine...

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    maybe someone with more experience can make a suggestion. With 47% humidity the air cells should not be taking up half of the egg.

5. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It could be possible they are older eggs, im not sure without looking it up but I think as an egg ages the air space gets bigger, when incubating the air space can get to about 1/3 the size of the egg.

6. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    it is about 1/3rd now. They are still forming so I guess ill wait it out- I will be surprised if any hatch:(

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If i'm understanding correctly - that it's the shipped eggs that have larger air space, and your home grown eggs that have a smaller air space - then i would assume that the shipped eggs simply had longer to evaporate before you put them in the incubator.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Very dry air during shipping.

9. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    can they still hatch??[​IMG]

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    They can still hatch, the first time I ever incubated eggs I knew nothing of humidity and the ar cells ended up almost half of the egg and all but 2 of the 12 chicks hatched. The 2 that did not hatch died about day 16or17.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by