Lots of animals eat chickens. Do beavers, too?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chrysostomist, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Chrysostomist

Chrysostomist Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Talking to a co-worker, he warned me about all the predators that will go after chickens- foxes, raccoons, skunks, possums, hawks, owls. Something a few days ago dragged a bag of trash around our property at night and I don't know what that was, but what I do know we have is a beaver in our creek, which I have been fortunate to see twice during the day. It's about 2 ft long excluding the tail length, which seems pretty big, and since we don't see any problems with having it yet, I think it's pretty cool that we have a beaver. So do any of you have experience with beavers killing your chickens?

It's really convenient to be able to ask so many people with chicken experience in one place.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    As far as I know, beavers are strictly herbivores.

ETA I also don't think it would be in their behavior to kill the chickens for a reason other than food.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Beavers don't eat any protein, they eat mainly tree bark, roots and buds. They are fairly peaceful animals. I would not pick one up with my bare hands, but they are not a menace. We have beavers here too. They have never caused any issues, aside from damming up creeks and in our case the irrigation ditch. They are a total menace for that. [​IMG]

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I have a traveling beaver that visits my pond each summer. I enjoy seeing him around. I have never heard of them being a threat to chickens. Trees on the other hand....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by