Lots of blood from Nostril, No eggs for months, Still active and strong.

I took Iris out of the freezer last night to thaw. She was still pretty frozen this AM. Amazing what an insulator those feathers are.

I will check to see if I can proceed tonight.

Interestingly enough...and had forgot about this...but she had blood smeared up her comb....source seems to be her nostril. I'm confident whatever did Iris in is what is happening with Lily and Probably the other two.

I took Iris out of the freezer last night to thaw. She was still pretty frozen this AM. Amazing what an insulator those feathers are.

I will check to see if I can proceed tonight.

Interestingly enough...and had forgot about this...but she had blood smeared up her comb....source seems to be her nostril. I'm confident whatever did Iris in is what is happening with Lily and Probably the other two.

What I would do is work with an appropriate treatment for symptoms which most closely match some poultry diseases. This link may help you identify the possibility:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If a hen dies, tightly bag the bird and refrigerate it if you cannot get the bird to a lab for a necropsy that day. Most state labs will charge none, to a small fee for backyard chicken owners. Here is a list of labs by state:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

This should determine what actions to take regarding flock management, or if a vaccination program is in order.

Despite being a free range bird 6 months out of the year. I suspect the overgraining is what killed Iris--or corn based feeds. I did her necropsy this morning. The wall of fat to get to her abdominal cavity was 3/4 inch thick. I'm not exaggerating. She wasn't that easy to "clean" compared to the extra roos I did last year and the year before. Perhaps the freezing of the bird didn't help my process. Her cecum, intestines, gizzard, liver completely covered in fat cells. When I pulled her carcass out of the freezer, her weight was well noted. She always ate like it was her last meal. A Big girl. Iris: "Killed with Kindness."
th.gif
This is my first necropsy. I didn't really delve too much further after seeing all the fat and getting the liver out rather brusquely. Her intestines didn't appear distended were pink and healthy looking.

Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic disease. That's what I'm going with on this bird.

Thanks eggcessive. I believe I found old hemorrhages encapsulated within as well. I was wondering what they were exactly...after reading this I'm sure that's what they were.

Plan for everybody. Worming, strict diet. They've been getting greens pretty much everyday all winter. Kale and spinach and cabbage...so I hope we covering the Biotin portion of the multifactorial reason they get this. They are out digging in a bare spot of ground these last two days. fun to see them ranging even though its limited with snow. The Rooster is in his glory you can just tell. But 8-12 inches of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I really want to get these birds out ranging and this weather does not help.

Thanks eggcessive. I believe I found old hemorrhages encapsulated within as well. I was wondering what they were exactly...after reading this I'm sure that's what they were.

Plan for everybody. Worming, strict diet. They've been getting greens pretty much everyday all winter. Kale and spinach and cabbage...so I hope we covering the Biotin portion of the multifactorial reason they get this. They are out digging in a bare spot of ground these last two days. fun to see them ranging even though its limited with snow. The Rooster is in his glory you can just tell. But 8-12 inches of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I really want to get these birds out ranging and this weather does not help.
Umm...It is April. There are flowers blooming and green grass here. I now know for certain why I do not live in Minnesota. Did you get your foot of snow yesterday?

Hi Odelia.

gig.gif

I try to stay positive and know that I live in a very beautiful spot. But these snow storms and 5-6 month winters really make me question my sanity. LOL.

We lucked out. The system pushed up a little further north. We got a bunch of rain where we are and brought down the snow-pac on the upside of things. But around 9or 10 it switched to snow and wind. It's a little hard to tell with the drifting but I would say we got a good 3-4 inches. Sun is out now though...just peeking through. I shovelled some new paths for the chickens to get to bare ground yesterday. They got about a 1/2 day on those. It's all white again. Neverending winter that's for sure.

Quote: Michael Apple, I know you disagree with me, but there's no need to refute something I say in every thread we meet in, especially when you have no proof.

The sulfur family of drugs were developed in large part because of scientific studies to ascertain why garlic killed parasites and diseases. This is actually scientific fact and yes, there is proof. It doesn't take much internet searching to find it. Many vets and doctors are also aware of this proof you claim doesn't exist.

We don't agree on some things, you and I have established that, but if you have 'proof' garlic doesn't work, by all means please share it. If not, then please, at least test garlic as a cocci preventative before claiming it doesn't work. Not a hard thing to test at all.

I've never ever had a single case of cocci, over many hundreds of chickens raised in mixed flocks, free ranging, and feeding raw garlic is the reason why. If anyone doubts it, feel free to test it out, or at least research it, preferably before stating it doesn't work like that's some kind of fact.

Best wishes to all.

Can't comment on garlic except to say that I don't use it, nor do I feed medicated feed and I've also never had coccidiosis with chicks raised on the ground... The only time I see coccidiosis is when I raise them in brooders, and that includes brand new brooders that get stripped and cleaned once a day.

-Kathy

Just a follow up on details of this thread.

Lily is doing fine. She still has not laid eggs as well as my two other EE hens. I have attributed it to breeding/ and poor Hatchery gene pool. They thrive and free range nonetheless still with the rest of my flock. Keeping up with the best of them even though they are in an early henopause.

I continue to use little to no scratch and they strictly free range on grasses, bugs and their formulated feed.

The ivomec pour on worked with our crew last April. Everybody is clear of lice and mites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom