Lots of blood in egg????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lesa, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    All my chickens appear to be fine. However, I cracked an egg into the frying pan and found an egg with tons of blood in it. I don't mean a spot or two, I mean cherry juice in place of the whites. A friend I give eggs to- had the same problem. It seems like if a hen was having that kind of issue, she would stop laying. Any ideas???

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    How often are you collecting the eggs and do you have a broody in the bunch?

3. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I collect eggs several times a day. No broody. No rooster...

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Look under blood spots on this site. It has nothing to do with fertility or broodies.

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Sometimes it is tiny specs and sometimes it is a lot. Hens just starting to lay have this problem more often than others, but it can happen to any of them. The commercial operations electronically candle their eggs to keep these eggs from making it to market. A lot of those commercial eggs end up at palces where the eggs are beaten before they are used.

Since we don't candle our eggs to find those things, I suggest always cracking the egg on a separate bowl before you mix it with anything or put it in the frying pan.

5. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks Ridgerunner! Do I know you from TEG?? That site was very helpful. I never crack an egg into a recipe. I do crack directly into the frying pan. I just threw it away- no big deal. I do sell eggs though- and I would hate to see the face of my "city slicker" customer who finds one of those bloody ones! Really don't want to candle all my eggs... Thanks again!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, I'm on TEG regularly, mostly lurking but occasionally posting if I think I have anything worthwhile to say.

Luckily most people that get my eggs have country in their background because I have eggs with some blood in them sometimes. I think it is a specific pullets that does that but I can't figure out which one.

I'm just about out of stock in the pantry so it is time to process another one. She is my top candidate if I can figure out which one she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by