Lots of blood! Not sure if this is a prolapsed vent??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beckzmaru, Dec 11, 2013.

1. beckzmaru

beckzmaru New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I apologize for the gross picture.. but my husband called me earlier saying there was tons of blood coming from one of our hens butts but he never got a good look. He separated her from the others, and put her in a box in our warm dark basement. (We're in Canada and it's about -8 celcius out). He called a vet who basically said she would probably die. (but had no real info) So I'm turning to you backyard chickens!

I came home and dunked her butt into some warm water and rinsed off all the blood and gook to take this picture.... the darkest crimson colored part is hanging out.. the white wasn't there, only after i dunked her bum again. I wasn't sure if it was a prolapse as all the ones I've looked up just looked like rounded parts of their insides popping out. So i didn't want to put honey or sugar on it, didn't want to do anything until I asked here! Maybe it was something she was trying to pass? There was only one egg this morning (we have 4 hens, so I'm not sure if it was hers or not). She's eating and drinking water like normal, and seems content in her little box for now. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Also, i have been reading here since we got our hens in the spring but never needed to post until now!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't tell if there is a prolapse there. She may have just been pecked by the other chickens causing the damage, or she had a prolapse that was pecked. Is she bullied by the others? You should be able to find a prolapse under all of the blood and gore when it is cleaned. Poor thing. Things like this happen with chickens. I would keep her in the house tonight after cleaning her up. Try the honey if there is a prolapse, and put neosporin ointment on the damage. She will need to stay away from the others until she heals.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. beckzmaru

beckzmaru New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    She's been fine in her little box in the cozy basement, she's been eating and drinking when we go in and turn the light on/uncover her. She's been in there just over 24 now and there's no poop. But she hasn't been eating as much as she would normally (cause we're keeping her in the dark)

I gave her a 20 min warm bath.. which after the first couple of mins she really seemed to get into it. I cleaned up all the blood and gunk, and was left to see a tear in her vent... i tried to get a picture but she puckered it back up. she had it gaping a little before that and you could see the tear going inside on the top. there was some running clearish substance after a bit.. i added a red arrow to the picture where you can just see the beginning of the little tear. Should we just keep her in the dark and hope for it to heal?

i also took two pictures 1) of what was hanging out, which i think was just a blood clot? I don't imagine it was an egg that never formed? and the second picture is actually a tiny little squishy unshelled egg? i found in her box this evening

Any advice or pointers or help would be appreciated! Thanks eggcessive for the reply!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I still don't know if there was a prolapse or not, but she must have been pecked by the others. She might have laid too large an egg that caused some tissue to prolapse. It looks much better. Keep some antibiotic ointment on the vent for a few days. Make sure they are all getting at least 16, and think about increasing to 20 % protein, lots of room, and some things to climb on and explore. With feather picking, they will cannibalize other chickens.

5. beckzmaru

beckzmaru New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks again... she seems to be doing better for sure. Little tiny poops, but at least it's passing through.
    Is regular polysporin ok to use? Does anyone have suggestions to add more protein ? Their shells have always been kind of thin, and I've always heard oyster shells would help with that but never actually tried them

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Polysporin is fine. It's always good to have some oyster shell in a container so they can eat it when they need extra calcium. Scrambled eggs, tuna, and dry cat food are excellent for extra protein. I like to feed an all flock feed that is 20%, and they can get their calcium from the oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by