1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lots of blood spots in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mahsad, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mahsad

mahsad Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    I got some Isa browns a month ago, and last couple of weeks I have seen a lot of blood spots, maybe 5-8 in nearly all eggs, at least 3 out of 4!

The spots are in the white and one or two on the yolk. How can I prevent this from happening, as it is not really appetizing.[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. mahsad

May 10, 2013
    They are 14 months. After seeing the pictures i believe most of it is meat spots. Is it vitamin A deficiency?

4. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    At 14 months it really shouldn't be the age of the flock, so supplementing them with vitamins A & K would be my first try at doing something, and making sure their food is OK. They have not been on any medications for coccidia have they? Have they been doing this since you got them, or did it only start recently? They do say that frights/disturbances can cause it and I would think that moving hens would fit that category, but you'd think they would be over it by now.

5. mahsad

May 10, 2013
    I have today started giving them ground pepper as it contains high quantities of both vitamins (A & K). I don't know wether they have been on any medication, they have been used for egg production in the country way from the city. The guy had over 200 hens but they were free ranging.

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The whole thing is odd, you wouldn't think it would be age at 14 months, or the strain of bird if they were production birds, if it was stress you'd think they'd be over it by now, not encephalomyelitis without other problems, you don't have them under lights, and I would think you could tell if the feed was moldy... that pretty much just leaves vitamins as the likely culprits unless there is something else going on you don't know about (ie birds are five years old not 1 year old). Medications was a question because sulphas are used for coccidia sometimes and if they were treated for that it is listed as a cause. You might consider putting them on a poultry vitamin mix just to be on the safe side for now if they are having enough problems with what they were on to be producing eggs like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by