Lots of bloody stool in chicken coop this morning... :( ---(gross pics)

Thanks, will definitely do.
Is there any other common thing otherwise that causes bloody stool? I found no injuries.
Should I give probiotics afterwards?
Amprolium isn't an antibiotic but probiotics afterwards won't hurt anything. Amprolium starves the coccidia of vitamin B (I believe). Be sure to not add and vitamins or electrolytes to the water during treatment. That amount of blood in the stool is really only seen in coccidiosis. Shed intestinal lining can cause some blood in the stool but that's not what we are seeing here.

Amprolium isn't an antibiotic but probiotics afterwards won't hurt anything. Amprolium starves the coccidia of vitamin B (I believe). Be sure to not add and vitamins or electrolytes to the water during treatment. That amount of blood in the stool is really only seen in coccidiosis. Shed intestinal lining can cause some blood in the stool but that's not what we are seeing here.
That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. I'm wondering whether healing from the wound the rooster gave her maybe knocked back the lavender hen's immune system if it's her.

I was going to write something else...
Probably just that the hens have been in their run a lot more than usual for various reasons.

Worms can sometimes cause blood in droppings, but I would treat with amprollium first, unless your vet orders a sulfa drug.
I'm planning to bring a stool sample with me just in case they can do a test. We'll see... This is just making me sick.
At least the pullets seemed pretty good and I didn't spot any more blood today.
I took a picture of where they were roosting so I can see if I can narrow down who it is.

Blood is sometimes found in the coop from a pulled out blood feather or a pecked comb. I have seen some large spots on the roost boards which looked like a massacre, and never found a source. But if it was mostly combined with droppings, it may be coccidiosis. Worming them at some point might be a good idea, but treating for coccidiosis would be something I would do first. Amprollium is very safe.

Blood is sometimes found in the coop from a pulled out blood feather or a pecked comb. I have seen some large spots on the roost boards which looked like a massacre, and never found a source. But if it was mostly combined with droppings, it may be coccidiosis. Worming them at some point might be a good idea, but treating for coccidiosis would be something I would do first. Amprollium is very safe.

That's a big relief. Tomorrow morning will be here soon.

And I wish I had figured out who the feathers I found belonged to. Some of them definitely had blood in them. Still definitely looked like blood + poo so I'll start with Cocci...

I hope my earlier message didn't come off as rude to you Eggcessive, btw. I was just wishing I could still buy common treatments like people can in other places, even if I could do it online. If it weren't for the pandemic it'd be worth a trip across the border.

Sorry for the double post, but if there's one good thing to come out of this, the vet staff at this place are really nice and reasonable. I had a fill-in vet who was great, the medication was 4$, and the staff I met when I picked it up were nice too! A refreshing change frankly.

One thing is for sure: I've never been so happy to see a chicken drink! I hope she gets better. It was pretty bad this morning.

Okay... *deep breath* Day 1 (of meds):
Co - Day1.jpg

(I think this is what the "bloody something" would've looked like if it hadn't been on the shavings.)

Back
Top Bottom