Lots of bloody stool in chicken coop this morning... :( ---(gross pics)

Malkaris

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
ATL Canada
Okay, maybe a new catastrophe... I picked up a hen this morning trying to figure out where some missing feathers I found in my yard yesterday evening came from (injury?) and there was a clump of bloody something on a chicken and blood on my hand.

I realized there was a very bloody little pile on the floor which a hen must've stepped in. I looked by the roost and there are a couple more, albeit with less blood.

I'll try and post pics if that's OK - I know they'll be gross.

I'm guessing my lavender or black orpington from what I remember about where they were perched last night. But I can't tell for sure - everyone was running around fine and eating.

Is there something other than intestinal lining shed and Coccidiosis? I'm going to see if I can get the meds anyway. They've tightened everything here...

Pullets are almost 19 weeks old and spent the first several (10?) weeks on medicated feed.

Screenshot_20200924-082406_Gallery~2.jpg

(^ ignore the green thing, that's part of something else)
20200924_082315.jpg
20200924_082240.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the "blood"? Have you fed them any treats, or do they have access to anything that may have caused bloody-looking poop like berries?

Do you have a picture of the "blood"? Have you fed them any treats, or do they have access to anything that may have caused bloody-looking poop like berries?
Got some pics up there now. The worst bit got messed around in shavings though.

They've had cabbage and some apple but I don't remember anything red.

Did the pullet you picked up have any injuries or a prolapsed vent which was the “clump of bloody something?) They are old enough to have built up tolerance coccidiosis, but I would get some Corid to start in the water at the maximum dose if you cannot find an injury or prolapse. Look at their vents for more blood.

Did the pullet you picked up have any injuries or a prolapsed vent which was the “clump of bloody something?) They are old enough to have built up tolerance coccidiosis, but I would get some Corid to start in the water at the maximum dose if you cannot find an injury or prolapse. Look at their vents for more blood.

I didn't see anything obvious but I'll take a closer look. I don't know if it's relevant but they haven't started laying yet. At first I thought maybe it was a precursor to a first egg but I don't think that happens.

The good news is I can pick up coccidiosis meds tomorrow morning.
Vet said 1 week full strength, then 14 days half as strong. She's trying to figure out how much water for the doses.

I've never had this before but I've never had to confine birds for so long. I'd confine the cockerel instead if I trusted the pullets not to run off everywhere. But they'll need supervision.

Age doesn't matter when it comes to coccidiosis.
Any aged bird can suffer from it.

What are you picking up from the vet? What's the stuff called?

Age doesn't matter when it comes to coccidiosis.
Any aged bird can suffer from it.

What are you picking up from the vet? What's the stuff called?

I believe she said Amprolium.

Should I just wait till tomorrow or add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to their water or something in the meantime?

I would go to a feed store and get the Corid and buy Corid today. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water as the only source, for 7 days. Then you may decrease the dose. Vets sometimes will prescribe Albon or other sulfa antibiotics. But since you have a vet, you could take in some of those droppings to day and get them tested for coccidia. Here is a dosage chart for Corid:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6635518/width/500/height/1000

We can't just go to stores and buy medications and stuff like that here anymore. Not for years. Everything comes from a vet - and unless that vet is particularly reasonable that means waiting for an appointment and bringing in the animal for even the most common things. (And the one nearby is out for the week.) There's a huge markup - for example a 3-6$ cat dewormer pill is about +35$ plus money for the appointment. I'm actually pretty fortunate even though I'll have to drive quite a ways to get it. I'm planning to bring a sample and see if they'll test it.

All the vents looked good and healthy though so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom