1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Lots of broken feathers, especially on chest and stomach

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theacw, Mar 19, 2015.

1. theacw

theacw Songster

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I noticed my hen has a TON of broken feathers, maybe at the halfway point, that are broken. They are mostly on her chest and stomach but in other areas as well. She is a SLW so in these are areas, it basically looks like a big patch of grey and fuzziness since they are broken past the "lacy" part.

She is my top girl so she isn't getting picked on. She is a little older, maybe 5? and survived a terrible dog attack last summer/fall right when she was growing her feathers in during a molt but she never had any injuries in the area where the feathers are broken. Skin looks normal in this area as well. But it still is quite a few that are broken!

Just curious if anything could be causing this or if I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

2. theacw

theacw Songster

May 7, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 9 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Increase dietary protein. I suggest mixing in some higher protein grower diet. You can only stop progression, not reverse until annual molt commences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: