Lots of chicken feathers on the ground in their run

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coopnana, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    My hens aren't quite a year old and today I noticed a lot of feathers on the ground ,,,its very cold here ...not noticing any great bald spots and no injuries that I can see. Could a hen be molting at this young of an age? :cd

2. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Some do molt at a young are age I had a BR molt at 11 months. What breed(s) are your hens?

3. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    I think it is feathers from the GLW , but I also have a BR, RIR, Light Brahma, My other GLW has feathers in her pen, but she's broody and has one 3 week old silkie chick that she hatched.

4. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    If it not molt it can so dontrule it out. But is a lowest at the pecking order?

5. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    I don't think she's the lowest one...I think the RIR is. I'm going to inspect the feathers this morning to see if they look "roughed" up from another or herself. I was reading that if they are normal looking...it could be a molt. It's 10 degrees today and we are having high winds so the wind chill is putting it much lower than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by