Lots of clucking and pacing around??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by real_redhead, Sep 14, 2011.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    My red sex link (who has not laid yet) is acting strange this morning....I thought something was getting the chickens and when I went out to check, she was clucking and making all kinds of noise. She is going in and out of the coop, and the other girls are watching and joining in but not so loud. This is the first one I have that I raised from a chick and am waiting to lay. I have another who I got already laying ans she is pretty quiet. Any ideas if my red sex link is getting ready to lay with this strange behavior. I have to leave for work soon and hate leaving her if she is in distress.

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You, my friend, are about to get an egg. That's my guess, based on my limited experience. Several of my girls had strange, disoriented, distressed behaviour a day or two before they laid for the first time.

3. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks!! It's about time!

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I agree, you will be getting an egg from her soon! It's like they don't know what's happening and go a little crazy!

5. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    GREAT NEWS!!! Not only did I get 1 egg I got 2. I know when I left for work that my red sex link was going crazy and thanks to help from my friends here I knew the egg was coming soon. So I hoped I would have an egg when I got home. Imagine my surprise when I opened the nesting box and found 2 in the same box! Now here is the question could she have laid 2 eggs or is another one of the girls starting to lay too? I aslo had an egg from my EE who has been laying for a while!!! YEAH 3 eggs in one day!!

6. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Any idea can a chicken lay 2 eggs in 1 day???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by