Lots of Cochin babies...frizzles too!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LindaKatheryn, Jul 30, 2013.

1. LindaKatheryn

LindaKatheryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    There are 16 chicks in the tub pic but there are 20 now...19 of which are from 2 nests. One nest has a normal (smooth) mille fleur hen and a normal white rooster. The other nest has a mille fleur frizzle hen and a normal mille fleur rooster.

The 20th chick was from a trio of a normal white rooster, a normal white hen and a mille fleur hen. It was the first chick hatched and the only egg in that nest...actually it hatched under my lavender ameraucana bantam, but that's another story.

There are about 10 eggs left to go in the last nest of a normal white hen and white frizzle rooster. I've candled them once a week for a few weeks, but was worried that these were taking longer than the others did so I brought the eggs in to candle them this morning. Once I got into my quiet house though, there was so much chirping coming from this basket of eggs that candling was cancelled and they were promptly returned to their mommy.

I've also included pics from last year of the parent stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took us a while to get a coop situated to where we could pair our cochins up and let them sit their eggs (so we wouldn't end up with featherless frizzle/frizzle babies). I bring them in though because in the coops, there's no way for the babies to get to food or water. Maybe we'll have that worked out by next year. This is our first and last hatch of the year. I want everybirdie old enough and feathered enough to deal with winter. I'll be selling some normal and frizzle babies in September or October so if you live in central Ohio, stay tuned!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. chickencatcher1

chickencatcher1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    Central Maine
    Those chicks are so cute!

3. LindaKatheryn

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Thanks!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Chicken Obsessed

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    this little white chick is my baby cochin, just started to lay eggs.her name is Casper.
    [​IMG]
    this is Daphne and she is a charcoal cochin. raising baby ducks behind her. they are both bantams.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. LindaKatheryn

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Nothing cuter than a baby chick...and I love the name Casper! I love the fact that Daphne is raising baby ducks. I've never seen a charcoal cochin before...she's gorgeous!

6. LindaKatheryn

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Well the last eggs started hatching this morning. Two babies so far...

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Chicken Obsessed

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Yeah hatching is fun. Daphne is actually part bantam cochin and part silky. some times she looks black I call her charcoal, it is the best way to describe her. Hawks keep coming by because of the ducklings. they are pretty secure, one got out yesterday. I put it back. boy they are fast!

8. LindaKatheryn

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Ohio
    I guess fast is their only defense. Chasing them is great exercise! Also, the combo of silky and cochin looks good on Daphne!

There were 5 new chicks yesterday and one this morning so we're up to a total of 26 Cochins so far. Then I was gathering all the eggs out of the big coop and 2 were warm. I candled them and it appears that one of the Ameraucana hens is sitting two fertiles that look like they'll hatch soon. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these chickens, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by