Lots of commotion, but no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nieceharr, Jul 14, 2008.

1. nieceharr

nieceharr In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi,
    3 of my RIRs are 22 weeks old now. For the last 2 mornings, I have heard LOTS of clucking and commotion - this is different than the periodic squabbles. My roo gets involved with the noisemaking as well.

I heard that when a hen lays an egg, she is very proud (and rightly so!) and others will often cheer her on. Are they getting ready? I got excited both mornings and checked everywhere, as I know that they could sometimes hide the eggs. Nothing. Is this what it sounds like when they do lay them, or is it something different? We're waiting for those precious eggs --- any day now..... [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Have you heard the predator alert? I have thought something was getting them all and gone out to check on them just to find it was an "i layed and egg" song. They can get pretty loud. I think they start going through the motions before they start, so maybe it is about to start [​IMG]

3. nieceharr

nieceharr In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yes! When the hens all start the commotion and clucking, my roo makes his predator alert sound. That was the first thing I checked yesterday morning - no sign whatsoever of anyone trying to get in (my henhouse is like Fort Knox!). I'm getting excited - I hope, I hope....[​IMG]

4. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    It seems like the longest wait of your life waiting for that first egg [​IMG] hang in there, it should be soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: