Lots of drama - but finally, an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fiberart57, Oct 26, 2009.

1. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    So, I'm home sick with the crud relaxing, the chickens are out running about the yard in their usual gently destructive manner when my Australorp, Sheila, starts in screeching and yelling over along the side of the house. I go out there, sure that she's laid an egg and pull apart vincas and other vines; nothing but a small carved out depression she's made by the exit ramp to the cat and dog door. I eye her, she eyes me and I go back in. I should mention that she's been coming up and squatting at my feet for a few days now.

About 10 minutes later, I go back out and find her sitting quietly in the depression she's made. No, we are not laying there. I get her and the other girls in the run and house (bribes) and leave them in much to their annoyance. Sheila and the EE start investigating the nest box in the house but don't seem that intent.

Over an hour later, I hear Sheila screeching again and I go out, check the nest box and both of the golf balls in there were knocked onto the floor of the house (over the lip of the nest box). I put the golf balls back in and once again we eye each other.

Another hour or so later the screeching starts again. But this time she's got a good reason: an egg. Finally at 26 weeks. Yeah. So I hand out the raisins all around, give a lecture to the rest of the girls and let them back out with more mutual eyeing.

From beginning to end, this process took four hours. She started the initial screeching at 12:30 pm and finally laid the egg at 4:30 pm. It was still warm when I took it in. What a drama and production!

I do have a question. Should I have moved her when she was sitting on her "nest" outside? For obvious reasons I'd rather they didn't lay by the doggie door.

Mary

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, great story. Sure, I would have moved her too. Now she knows where to lay those eggs!

3. g_a_brand

g_a_brand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    congrat on your 1st egg
    I so wish my white rocks would start soon ( born on may 1st )
    my girls are not even fully red faced yet [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    WOW!!! What a great story!!!!! My girls have started to "squat", and am waiting too!!!! Now I will wait for the "squack!" [​IMG]

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!! Hopefully the nestbox will be the preferred spot now.....And let's face it - a bit of noise and drama and they had your attention [​IMG] Silly girls....but, an egg!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    If you think about it - that's a pretty short labor time!
    Congratulations! I think you did just fine. When the other gals see her laying in the box, hopefully they'll get the clue. My younger hen has laid all her eggs in the nesting boxes after seeing the big girls do it.

7. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, the same chicken laid another egg in the nest box and a couple of the others are looking around in it. I've kept them penned up while I'm at work so the rest will know where to lay, but it's hard on them. The run is merely adequate and 10 sq. ft. per bird and with dusk coming early they are only getting in about an hour of yard time. So I opened their door to the run today to let them free range.

However, it's been snowing and wet for the past couple of days and I was wondering if this would discourage them from laying in the yard, which is wet, cold and snowy. I hope so. Right now only the Australorpe and the EE are squatting and the Australorpe is producing. The others don't seem too interested.

Do you think that they've got the idea to lay in the nest box or should I still keep them confined?

Mary

8. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I think it depends on the chicken. Once my girls laid in the nesting box, they never laid anywhere else and would run to get back there if I had them out. Though once one didn't make it and laid on the patio. [​IMG]
    That said, when I have them in the 'injury room (my bathroom or a dog crate)' they lay right on the towels on the floor.
    I haven't been any help have I? I think it just depends on your chicken and if you feel like walking around looking for eggs.

9. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I think there are all kinds of labor in humans and chickens, the quiet types and the ones who yell to high heaven! My EE was like that..and it too was a 4 hour, noisy process. Once she finally laid that egg, she went out to the run with the other pullets and "purred" for hours. I swear she was grumbling and telling the other girls what they were in for when their turn came! When my BA was preparing to lay her first egg, she (the BA) was silent. But I came out to check the coop because the EE was carrying on again...she had to announce to the world that someone else was going to lay:lau

10. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Great 'Egg Drama' story -- I can especially relate to the 'eyeing' each other!
    thanks for starting my day with a laugh --

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by