Lots of feathers in the new coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rubysmom, May 2, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    My chicks are 81/2 weeks old and we moved them out to the coop this week. When I am cleaning up in there I'm noticing lots of feathers? Is it normal for them to be losing feathers (this probably a ridiculous question, but I still have to ask it [​IMG])?
    Its not fluff but actual big feathers. Are they molting? If not, when do they molt and how often? They are all girls and they have plenty of feathers on thier actual chicken bodies. no bald spots or anything.

Thanks
    Claudia

Learning as fast as I can but, still dazed and confused....[​IMG]

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They lose their first feathers and start getting their 'big chicken' feathers.

3. 2-dimples

2-dimples Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for asking this question. I saw this with my 7 week olds and was wondering what was going on!

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    A chicken will molt three times before the adult feathers come in. You usually see lots of feathers around 8-10 weeks old then again at arou 5 months.

5. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks you guys. I was hoping it was no big deal.

Once they get their big chicken feathers do they just molt once a year? I also heard that if you change your laying hens diet it can put them into a molt and stop the laying. Is this true?

Can you still give them treats and stuff once they start laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by