Lots of pain, little money (a vent)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jun 8, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lately, despite high food bills and higher gas prices I've been able to save a few dollars, but not buying a single unnecessary item. I planned on using what I'd save to enlarge the chooks run to super-sized. So far, my SO has paid every bit of the expense for me to have some chickens just to make me happy. Althought I'm disabled and only work part-time I was proud that I was finally going to be able to pitch in. That was before the tooth pain from ****.
    I have a dental bridge that was put in "temporarily" while I was still in my late teens; 27 years ago. I never went back and had it placed permanently because the dentist was a butcher, very painful, but the bridge has never given me any problems so...It's one of the things that you tend to put off. Last night, the bridge broke suddenly; leaving the raw nerves exposed. Pain like I've never felt before in my life! And to make matters worse, the teeth above it on my upper jaw began to ache in sympathy. [​IMG]
    I tried everything to ease the pain while waiting for my SO to get home from work. Heating pad, ice pack, my regular pain meds, his very strong pain meds that he's taken for a shoulder injury. Nothing helped. I finally got a little pain relief when he came home from work. He took cotton balls and soaked them in whiskey and packed them around the bridge. Hurts like the dickens for a few minutes, but then it eases the pain somewhat. We finally found a use for the half-gallon jug of Jack Daniels my Dad gave us a year ago. Neither of us is much of a drinker, live in a dry county besides, so now I know what the JD is good for.
    Anyhow, I made it thru the night (without sleep), went to work this morning but only made it 3 hours before I had to come back home. I can't take pain meds while working and I certainly can't be smelling like whiskey. My SO plans to call his dentist in the morning and get me an appointment to have the bridge completely removed and what's left of the two teeth under it pulled. Of course, he's gonna have to pay for it; which further hurts my pride.
    So that's my vent. It's always something that keeps us from getting ahead, huh?
    Thanks for listening (reading). [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I feel your pain... I need to make an appt myself..... but I will put it off until the bitter end! [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your tooth pain and set-backs. I know exactly what you mean about it always being SOMETHING!!!! We were doing pretty good and then we got a flat tire on the car, a mailed check instead of direct deposit (hopefully tomorrow) and medical costs. It is indeed always something [​IMG]

But, on the bright side... I honestly feel that things happen in balance. For all of the bad, something good WILL happen! [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    gritsar - I'm so sorry, really sorry. Tooth pain is so awful and can affect your whole being. I'm sorry about now having to put money out for this instead of your chickens. I think your SO is wonderful to be helping with the money issues. But I'm sure it's really hard for you.

Good luck on getting your tooth fixed quickly and as inexpensively as possible.

4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I don't know about where you are, but where I'm from the dental college will treat you for just the cost of materials. The students (under strict supervision) do the work as part of their education. Win/win.

Just a thought.

I hope you can get some rest in the meantime. Tooth pain is comparable to childbirth, but instead of a hefty baby you get a hefty bill! [​IMG]

5. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I am so sorry for you as well! It is terribly frustrating to get in the black, or have some money saved up, just to not be able to use it for what you had intended. I would check into the dental college thing. They do that here too, and it provides really great work, for little money. I think here, the students are almost completely done with school, and they are in their last stages right before being released to take the test and practice. And like the other poster said, they are under supervision.

6. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    another option may be a community health/dentistry center. they often charge on a sliding scale... but not all areas have them.

I wish you gentle healing...

7. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I have had dental problems my entire life. Starting with having a partial plate when I was 18 months old! One thing that will help tooth pain, pretty much of any kind is clove oil. You can get it from the pharmacy, any candy making store, even walmart carries it.
    Rachel

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Ican feel withyou. We finally had our finances on track, everything ran smoothly . then some butthead came along and hit and ran the harley . Its totaled . the insurance money pays off the bike and we are left bike less. Our bedframebroke, not why you think. Our kids jumped of the dresser onto the mattress, now there is another50$, our DD's birthday party turned from a McD party to a little cook out in the yard. Luckily i can get a puppy that she wanted for free from the neighbors sister.

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I would rather give birth to a baby than to have a tooth-ache. I have 2 teeth that need to be pulled or filled. The problem is the dentist will not work on a payment plan, they want it all up front. BUMMER. I have dental ins. but to have a tooth pulled is $85 per tooth. I was told I would have to bring $150 to the office with me and thats with ins. [​IMG]

I guess they think money grows on trees. [​IMG]

10. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Oh, sounds like you could have an infection if the pain killers aren't helping. Speedy healing wishes your way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by