lots of people having problems with the LG bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monita, Nov 26, 2009.

1. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i have been reading about people having lots of problems with keeping stable temps and humidity using the LG bator. I had the same problem on my first 2 hatches. first hatch i got 1 chick out of 11 eggs. second hatch... 0 out of 9. in the middle of my 3rd incubation i decided to wire up an old computer fan using a cell phone charger (got the idea from BYC [​IMG] ) and just tossed it in there with the eggs until i could mount it after the hatch was over. that helped some but not as much as i would like so i wrapped an old beach towel around the sides of the bator (thanks again BYC) and that helped out ALOT. you don't realize how much air and humidity you lose out the sides until you do this and both spike. anyway my 3rd hatch i got 6 out of 6. i am currently on my 4th hatch and it is going great so far. i really hope this helps. my 4th hatch is over and i had 22 eggs go into lockdown, i now have 20 chicks out of 22 eggs.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Monita,

Humidity is a key ingredient in successful incubation. Airflow, sufficient fresh air and good temperature control is equally important.

A tip for increasing humidity even more in your incubator - make use of warm water when filling up to LG, this will result in better evaporation of the water. Secondly, you can put normal table salt in the water. The table salt breaks the bonds between the water molecules which will result in the water evaporating more easily which will in turn result in a higher humidity.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I keep mine in the closet where there isn't a lot of variation in the temperature outside the incubator so there isn' t a lot of variation inside the incubator either. The thing about an LG is that you have to make changes in temp very carefully. If you turn that knob more than a tiny bit, the temp goes up too far,then you turn it down a tiny bit too much and the temp goes down too far. You have to get used to it and keep it in a room where the temp is stable.

4. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i always use warm water to fill the bator as well as warm water when i use sponges. i didn't know about the salt. thanks for that info. i really haven't had anymore problems with stability in temps or humidity since i installed the fan and started wrapping a towel around the sides. i learned about the touchy thermostat the hard way. i also leave both vent plugs out all the time. matter of fact i don't even know where they are anymore...oops. i just hope the info everyone puts in this thread will help people who have problems with the LG bators. i just figured i would post what i did that helped increase my hatch rate and anyone else with helpful info can post as well.

5. Chicken Heir

Chicken Heir Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Colchester, CT
    I just got 2 free LG still-air incubators for free from my neighbor. Never hatched before and I'm looking forward to it. First order of business will be getting fans. Thanks for the info.

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

IF you install "old Knobs" (such as from old radio or washing machine, etc.) onto the stem that adjusts the thermostat on the Little Giant incubators, it makes slight adjustments of temperature much easier to accomplish.

7. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I have two LGs and whenever I have tried to add a fan to either I cannot keep the temps under 105 degrees. Am I missing something?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Your fan is too big, and is generating heat on its own. Get a smaller fan [​IMG]

9. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:Your fan is too big, and is generating heat on its own. Get a smaller fan [​IMG]

I don't think that is it because the red LED light stays on even at the lowest setting. The heating element is staying on until 105 degrees. It's almost like the still air sensor is designed to stay at a minimum of 105 because it is above the elements. In a still air chamber, the eggs themselves would be cooler than 105 because of the rising heat. Add a fan to that mix and it causes problems.

With the fan off, I have to turn it halfway up to get 101 near the egg turner.

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I have a question what is a LG incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by