Lots of phlegm? Any ideas what could be causing it?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Sep 11, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    For about a month, I have had a lot of phlegm. It has been yellow, clear, green and brown. I have also had a gross taste in my mouth. I cough up phelgm at least 4 times a day (today I did it probably 6 or 7 times.) I have no idea what it could be from? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Perhaps you have a sinus or respiratory infection? Have you taken anything for it yet?

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:No, I haven't taken anything for it yet.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Funky color and taste means a Dr. visit and antibiotics. At least with my Doc.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Sinus and/or respirtory infection had them all my life, go see a DR .......

6. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    mmmm yummay... [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:What does your doctor usually prescribe? I get the yuck crap when I walk by someone who is smoking and I inhale the crappy smoke.

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    For me usually antibiotic and he usually cultures to get the right one. One thing I started doing and am much better, is using a Neti Pot, gross, a little. Awkward, some. But I have had way fewers issues with drainage, infection, etc since using it. I am allergic to most things that grow, hay and pine shavings (I have horses) With the Neti , I may sneeze a bit, but no major infections for a couple of years.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I just got a Neti Pot in the mail a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if it worked. Sounds like it works. Thanks for sharing.

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I just got a Neti Pot in the mail a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if it worked. Sounds like it works. Thanks for sharing.

It takes a bit to get used to, some things to remember, breath through your mouth, do not get the water too hot and for gosh sakes make sure you use Non Iodized Salt or it will burn like the dickens...... I made that mistake once, hubby had a sore throat and was gargling with salt water, I accidently grabbed that container and my water was a little hotter than it should have been [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by