lots of pics of my future coop... lots of progress pics 11/6/2011

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cat1994, Oct 3, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well this is my future chicken house [​IMG] . I have some work to do but it is going to be great when it is all done. Plus it is so big; it is 12x8 [​IMG] that is biiiiig. Way bigger then any other hen house I have ever had! It will house my flock of 10 SLWs, I can¬ít wait to get started! I have the money and the planes; all I have to wait on is my dad. I really need his help on all this [​IMG] I hardly even know where to start, but he works all the time [​IMG] . After we fix up the house we will build a covered dirt run off of it and connect that to our original uncovered grass run by an even bigger uncovered grass run that we will have to build. [​IMG] lots to do and so lil time to do it in [​IMG] It needs a new door, roof, and siding. I will also have to put wire over the windows which slide open so I can regulate air flow [​IMG] (very nice) , and the inside walls need to be redone. Then I can add all my chicken stuff like roots, nesting boxes, and so on and so forth [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    I can totally see it!! That is going to be great! I can't wait to see your progress. [​IMG]

3. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    It looks like a great starting point. Keep us posted on the progress.

4. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    It's going to be awesome, it's got great bones!! Can't wait to follow this. I hope you post lots of pics as you go.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Good bones for your new coop!!!

I am a sucker for old wood. They just don't make it any more. The grain is very fine, very close and very straight. And very sound. Before you write off that door you may be able to re fab it. Might take a bit of elbow grease, and you may just end up with a couple extra sticks for the fire place, but refinished, glued, painted and screened, it would last another 20 years. What a great thing to do for the guy or gal who made it!!!

Lots of lessons there also, patience, practice, delayed gratification, and the joy of sitting back and knowing YOU took something old and worn down and created a new life for it. Something to be very proud of. You will be able to point at that door and say "I made that!!!"

(great part is, it is not all that hard, and you have more dollars in your pocket, and a much better door in the end.)

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    It'll come together sooner then you think and that door is a show piece! I'd start having fun with the door until your dad has some time. It'll show him you're serious about that hen house to be and all you need is a screwdriver to remove it and get to work on it!

7. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's gonna be some work but you have great start to work from. I say go for it.[​IMG]

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Wish I had that to start with!! Can't wait to see what you do with it. [​IMG]

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] I'm really happy to that I have such a nice starting point, and so much room I will post any new pics I get of the progress when I can thanks

10. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Quote:This right here. I tell people this all time, makes me sad....really really sad to see an old house get thrown in the dumpster. I try to walk onto the jobs and tell them I will help them to lighten their dumpster load if they let me at the house for a day or evening if they can spare it. You can't get that kind of wood anymore, those trees are all gone and if they are left they won't let anyone cut them down now. Slow growth lumber.....mmmmm that is good stuff. Everything they put in the ground now days from the lumber companies are quick growth variety's and they are lousy. They look very nice in the store on their racks with the banding still on them but get them out to the job where they might experience a little sun and rain before going in the house....well you have a whole new problem on your hands. What to do with all this new twisted and crooked wood you have laying about. SAVE THE OLD WOOD!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by