LOTS of PICS of some of my Back Yard Chicken flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mahonri, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is "Big Daddy" we just got him from Vanessa.

He is only 3 months old and is HUGE... Partridge Cochin roo... look at him next to our BIG Black Star Hen... I can't imagine how big he'll be in a year!

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of three of our 17 week olds that I hatched out. Spotty, CA White Leghorn, BB a Wheaten Maran, and Barack our GC Maran Roo.

[​IMG]

Here is Zebe our GC Maran's pullet.

[​IMG]

Here is Olivia (we originally named her Oliver cuz we thought she was a roo)... our Speckled Sussex.

[​IMG]

Here is Dolly. She (WE HOPE!) is our Designer chicken that we hatched out from Miss Jayne's egg. She is a cross of a Delaware roo X Light Brown Leghorn hen. Isn't she beautiful?!

[​IMG]

Group shot of our 18, 7 week old chicks. Included in there are 2 wheaten Ameraucanas, 8 BBS Ameraucanas, Dolly, Sammy our Salmon Fav, Annie our Ancona, Buffy our BO, Deleen, our Delaware, CQ our Cinnamon Queen, 2 EEs one white (WhiteE) and SplashyE.

[​IMG]

Another shot of part of the group.

[​IMG]

Here is Sammy our Salmon Faverolle pullet

[​IMG]

And here is Spaz, our Blue Ameraucana Roo. He is 9 months old and has begun to crow... kind of. He tries to do the dance but he is yet to be successful. He is the top roo out of the three and is very protective of the flock (flew up in son of Mahonri's face today when we removed Olivia to take a pic) but I'm imagining that Big Daddy will eventually take top spot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Gorgeous birds! Thanks for the pics.

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Wow - Mahonri, your birds are beautiful! [​IMG] I love all their coloring. Big Daddy is gorgeous, I think I'm a little partial to Spaz though. Was he the star of your last avitar picture? That was a great picture (the new one ain't too shabby either) [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mahonri, I don't think you have enough chickens. Better get more.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow! you have very nice looking birds!! Spaz is my favorite!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I knew Oliver was really Olivia!!! Nice birds.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Thanks for sharing! It's so fun seeing other birds. So pretty.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Gorgeous birds, well done on the coop, too! [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thanks for all of the kind words. And thanks for liking Spaz. I have faith that he'll soon learn how to do his rooster duties. I really do LOVE all of them. I don't think I could tell anyone else that, or they would think I am crazy!

I wish I could help you all see how MAGNIFICENT Big Daddy is... and at ONLY 3 months of age. When Vanessa told me she was GIVING him to me I couldn't believe it. His crow is real low and not too loud yet but, this morning I watched him successfully mount an EE.

I'm thinking that Barack will also be wonderful. I have to keep him and eventually put he and the GoldenCuckoo pullet together so that I can get a few more dark egg layers. He is mounting the leghorns regularly.... so we'll see how he grows.

Wow Cyn, you are good. Up until about 3 weeks ago I still thought that Olivia was a roo. She is going to be one big girl.... but she came from bargain in Georgia so you would know your Georgian fowl!

I so wish I lived on a farm... oh and Buff... you know me too well. Just don't tell my wife!!... at present she thinks Big Daddy is a real big hen!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i agree with Buff. more. need more. lots more. double digits more.

and i do think that the little cross that came from the Leg X Del egg is a pullet. Dolly is a good name choice!

the Am cockerel is way too cute! he is a doll baby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: