Lots of pics: Speckled Sussex X Buff Orp -PIC on pg 1, 2 & 5

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
For those following our jubilee project, here are some updated pics of our first cross for this part of the project. They are 50/50 sussex/buff orp. I think the color is beautiful. It will be interesting to see next generation when we get there.

Just to give some background, I'll share some of their younger pics to show how they changed.

This is them as babies (ignore the black chick):
jubileeorpproj005.jpg

Getting their first plumage:
jubileeorpproj001.jpg

017.jpg

008.jpg

And now (sorry for so many pics..it was hard getting pics of them on range):
001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Last edited:
MP - hehe, somehow I knew you'd say that.
smile.png
They would look lovely running around your yard with your Big Red boy.

HappyMtn - yes, the chicks were basically all the same color at hatch. Although now that they are in full plumage, some are darker red and some lighter toned.

Tuff - Thanks! I'm really enjoying watching the various aspects of this project progress. I wish birds didn't take so long to mature.

Ridgerunner - The Buff Orps were the mamas.

insiderart - These birds will not get speckled, but we're working towards that. They carry the genes to get there. We also have another line going which is a little further along and some of them are speckled (mille fleur) patterned, so it's coming along....just very slowly.

Am I right to guess that the speckled trait is recessive, that the Speckled Sussex carries the two recessive genes and the Buff Orpingtons two dominant non-speckled genes?

So, once you cross these back to a Speckled Sussex you will get 1/2 speckled?

Back
Top Bottom