Lots of pictures of my new coop - thanks for all the tips and ideas

Young MacDonald

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
St. Louis, MO
We found this playhouse on Craig's List and decided to buy it and convert it to a coop. It's 6 x8 and 6' tall:
28615_3pf3o23l0zzzzzzzzz93p39c5fe77e71f16b6.jpg

We put hardware cloth in the windows, built a door and cut out a pop door.

Here is the front view:
28615_dscn0372.jpg

We built the door with a small piece of plywood & some lattice my mom had left over from her grape arbor. Fortunately, the woman who sold the playhouse to us also gave me the paint she used so we could paint the door to match:
28615_dscn0373.jpg

We used ChevyBethGirl's idea for the hoop house to build the run. We used pressure treated wood for it (to protect from the rain). It's 12 x 8. Then we took 3 cattle panels and bent them over. We used nails and just bent the heads to fasten the panels to the wood. Then we covered it with hardware cloth. That's a young apple tree in front.
28615_dscn0380.jpg

That white thing on top is a plastic table cloth I got at the dollar store to protect them from rain on that side.

This is the view of the door to the run:
28615_dscn0381.jpg

I built this perch for the run using a tree branch and some milk cartons:
28615_dscn0383.jpg

I'm still working on the inside:
Need a better perch
28615_dscn0374.jpg

Because they are sleeping on top of the nest boxes (I found these on Craig's List). I still need to attach them to the wall.
28615_dscn0377.jpg

Still not done, but at least they are safe in the meantime.

Any suggestions for improvement?
smile.png

Last edited:
Looks good. I had an idea for nesting boxes that I will shear a pic of.
100_2686.jpg

100_2685.jpg

100_2693.jpg

I bought one at one Walmart for $7 & the other @ a different Walmart for $8.

I have one hen that must go in the back but the others lay in the front & the eggs roll to the back.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I am planning on raising the nest boxes up, but I read somewhere that I should wait until they start laying in them to do that. Should I just go ahead and do that now? My oldest bird is about 3 months.

Suburbanchickfarmer, I looked at the roost in your coop. Are you going to curve the edges or leave it flat. Are those 2x4s? I have 2 inch diameter branches in there, but nobody wants to use them. Maybe I should go with 2x4s??? By the way, what part of STL are you? I'm in Olivette.

Quote:
My chickens are about 3 months also. I went ahead and opened the nest boxes, I just didn't put any bedding in them yet.

The roosts are 2x4's, with the 4" side up. The edges are rounded off a little.

I'm in Oakville.

Great Job! I love craigslist I have found a ton of things including the newest Royal Palms I got for $3.00 each much better than the 22.99 at the feed store! Keep up the great work

Very cute!!! You just need a cute little sign with the name of your coop on the outside!!
big_smile.png

Something that adorable has to have a name!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom