Lots of posts tonight for me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minna, Nov 6, 2008.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    How long do you leave the baby chick in the incubator after it hatches?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Up to two days but no longer. I keep mine in for 7 hours until they are dry and I move them to the brooder.

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Ok, my dh says I took mine out too early, and maybe I did, it was not completely dry, but almost and I wasn't sure if it would be okay to leave it all night, so I brought it in and put in under a light. It can't go into the brooder until this weekend when the new coops are finished b/c I have to move my big chickens into it and my 3 week olds into the old coop so I will have room for my new babies, I wasn't prepared for the hatch, especially not on time.

4. It really depends on the brooder and the clutch. If you have a nice brooder and a small clutch you can leave them there for 24 hours. I take mine out and put them in seperate rings in a brooder with a light source that is prewarmed to about 95 degress F. I take them out of the brooder just as they are drying. I make them drink water within 36 hours and try to get them to eat at 48 if they have not aleady started.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Leave them in until the hatch is complete, and they are dry. You don't want to take them out wet for their sake and the sake of the eggs yet to hatch. [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    It should be fine as long as you have the heat up to 95. It will go under the light if it's cold. I don't think you caused any harm at all. I have taken mine out earlier if they were getting picked on and they were all fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by